Overkill to Chill 28 gal. Nano Cube HQI?

SkyReef

Overkill or Paranoia?

My setup: JBJ Nano Cube HQI 28 Gallon on cabinet stand. I have purchased equipment to accommodate a chiller: (1) Iwaki MD 40 RT pump; and (2) Current USA Prime Chiller 1/10 hp. The setup will be in my office, away from home.

My paranoia: having a chiller, requiring plumbing from the rear sump (you have to know the design of this JBJ tank) to the pump to the chiller, back up to the rear sump, will create the risk of a plumbing leak in my office, when I am not there.

Proposed plumbing scheme: (1) drain line from rear sump at Chamber 4, to tru-union/ball valve (TUBV); (2) from TUBV to Iwaki MD 40 RT external pump inlet; (3) from Iwaki pump outlet to TUBV; (4) from TUBV to Prime Chiller inlet; (5) from Chiller outlet to TUBV; (6) from TUBV back up to rear sump at Chamber 1.

Three questions: (1) is it necessary to use the chiller; (2) is there really a significant risk of leaking while I'm away from office (or am I just paranoid); and (3) should I use spa flex or rigid PVC?

Thanks for all replies.

jgoldwood

JBJ Arctica 1/15 for my 28G should be here today. Running a sunpod on the tank I need the chiller - temps up to 82 the other day.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I guess it depends on how the tank "Behaves".

• a) Does the temp stay constant (and within acceptable range) all day and night long.
  • b) What about weekends? Here in my office our HVAC is computer controlled and since we're not open on weekends the HVAC is set to MINIMUMS so it gets a lot warmer in here (during warm times) on the weekends and after hours.
  • c) Keep in mind that an "Office Tank" can be a royal pain in the tail-fin. Truth be known I'm probably going to take mine down in the next month or so after being set up for almost 3 years.
  • d) One thing I might suggest for a work tank is a "Controller". Even something as simple as a Neptune AC Jr. (but A GHL ProfiLux is ALWAYS a great option) to be able to control the temperature and pump(s) is a LIFE saver in the office. Also they log the Temp and Ph so you can retrieve the info and see what the tank really does on OFF hours.

you can try a fan with an ATO. Just remember the chiller needs to be very well ventilated as well...many people use it in Nanos to keep that constant temp...prob only necessary with SPS