overflow design help

Tru2nr

ok so im going to be getting my cube today and it needs to be drilled. This tank will be sitting against a wall in my living room and will be view-able from 3 sides im debating on creating an external overflow similar to a bean style and hiding it in trim work that is part of the stand...but my fear is that will have to sit at least 6" off the wall+a inch or two for trim, my other option is to do a internal C2C overflow that just uses a couple of elbows to plumb the tank out of the back of the tank therefore the tank will only sit a couple inches off of the wall with the trim piece covering up the plumbing,...i spent hours on google sketchup and could not build my idea's so hopefully this description is enough to help you guys imagine what im trying to do :willis:

squidy

Let me know if you decide to go with an internal overflow and drill the tank in the back. I can help you out with a custom size. My 110g has 2 drains drilled in the back about 6" from the top. The overflow measures 12" W x 5" T x 5" D. It takes up very little space in the tank and is super easy to maintain because its only 5" deep.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Let me know if you decide to go with an internal overflow and drill the tank in the back. I can help you out with a custom size. My 110g has 2 drains drilled in the back about 6" from the top. The overflow measures 12" W x 5" T x 5" D. It takes up very little space in the tank and is super easy to maintain because its only 5" deep.

Do tell please? LOL

Tru2nr is drilling the back an option for you?

Tru2nr

yes the tank will have to be drilled for both options...no hang on back overflow box...i made sure to check with the manufacturer that it was drill-able before i even bought it lol

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
yes the tank will have to be drilled for both options...no hang on back overflow box...i made sure to check with the manufacturer that it was drill-able before i even bought it lol

I'm in the same position that you are in currently with my 125 so I hope you don't mind me tagging along. I promise not to hijack your thread. LOL
Drilling mine this weekend.

Tru2nr

lol hijacking is perfectly fine...the part of me that wants the box internal is the part that doesn't want the stand to sit to far off the wall

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
That's what I think I'm going to do. I'm leaning towards drilling and putting the box inside the tank so I can also get it closer to the wall. I think I'm going to attempt the beananimal style. That is provided I don't blow up the tank while drilling. LOL

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'm in the same situation guys, so I'm also tagging along. The issue I have is that there is a top brace for mine that comes out about 6" from the back, so I may have to "rig" mine in some special kind of way...
I was thinking box inside, but I have the option of outboard too, as space really isn't the issue with me. I'm still very much on the fence... Lol

ChrisOaty

I have a bean animal overflow on a tank that sits up against the wall by drilling the bottom of my tank. I built a custom circular overflow out of 1/2 of a 8" diameter piece of large PVC pipe, cut some teeth into it, drilled the bottom of the tank, and plumbed it up. here's a picture of the overflow.
photo.jpg

This is currently on my 40 gallon breeder going to a 29 gallon sump. It's not set up right now as I moved and am in the process this weekend of building a new stand for it. Let me know if you need help/advice as my setup worked flawlessly and completely silent.

Tru2nr

hrmm i like the idea of drilling the bottom that would allow me to have a thinner C2C overflow...how far from the joint do you need to drill the tank?

ChrisOaty

i like the idea of a c2c overflow, but i don't like being able to see it from the sides, that's why i decided to go this route. it's painted black and i'll be painting the back of the tank black as well to make it blend it very nicely. I drilled the tank 2 inches away from the rear i believe and 2 or 3 inches from each other.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
hrmm i like the idea of drilling the bottom that would allow me to have a thinner C2C overflow...how far from the joint do you need to drill the tank?

Pay close attention to the bottom glass and make certain that it is NOT tempered. It is possible to have 4 sides that aren't tempered and the bottom is.

ChrisOaty

Pay close attention to the bottom glass and make certain that it is NOT tempered. It is possible to have 4 sides that aren't tempered and the bottom is.

My tank was bought at a petco, so I know it wasn't tempered. A quick call to the manufacturer would tell you right away.

Tru2nr

ok so i've been stewing here...im thinking im going to drill three holes on the back and run two 1/2" bulkheads for the gravity feed overflow 1 Durso(backup) 1 full siphon and than a 1/2" return what you guys think?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
They r talking about the new trunicate comment I believe.

........ disclaimer. this hobby empties wallets.