OT: Skunk

elliottb

So there is a skunk somewhere outside and I can smell it. Normally the smell isnt too bad of skunks, but this is bad enough where I can taste it in the back of my thoat and it almost makes me gag...

*sigh* I guess I wont be going to sleep for a while longer...

Jeremy0322

We get that all the time out here in the boonies...Just close all the windows and set something in the room that smells good and it should be a little better. I do feel for you though, one of the worst smells EVER!!

BoomerD

On our trip home from Yosemite we went through a cloud of skunk...(possibly some poor SOB hit one on the road) there's no doubt what it is when you smell it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I LOCE the smell of skunk!!! Call me strange, but its one of those smells that I really like LOL!

you ARE strange :) :lol:

Skunk "fumes" are not only smell but the fumes can/do actually burn. The name skunk comes from Latin "I think Latin but do NOT quote me" meaning 2 attacks. The "excretion" not only smells but it burns the mucus linings as well. Sort of like pepper spray does but not nearly as potent. The BAD news is your clothes will have the "scent of Le Pew" for a good while if it's trapped inside the home.

If you think the "Pole Cat" has taken up residence under/near your home good luck.. they are VERY persistent and extremely accurate up to about 15-20'. So don't try catching/shooing one away. You wont win.

A good "depends on who you're talking to "deterrent" for skunk is Human Urine. Yeah you heard that right! That's how many of my neighbors are doing it right now. I've got a "habit" of "going outside" and the skunks have left our house and "Moved" to a neighbors place. Better them than us :)

Good luck and be careful if you're trying to "Mask" the scent. Anything you burn/spray into the air to cover it up can/will also end up in your tank(s).

BoomerD

For most of my life, I had a natural white stripe in my hair, almost dead center, running front to back...one Mexican guy I worked with called me El Zorillo...The Skunk. My wife said that it matched my attitude. :p

Here's a recipe that is SUPPOSED to remove the smell...
The Skunk Remedy Homepage

elliottb

haha. I live in a suburban area an have a basement so the skunk is not under my house. There are soem local farms near by, a skunk probably wondered near me and then got hit by a car. There was one time in the middle of the night i woke up gasping for air because of the skunk stench. My dad did the same thing he said. Its not that im sensative to skunks or that im a city boy, because I am not. It is just those certain times where the smell is SO bad.

XBwlr

I hit one in the car one time. I had to pull over... I couldn't see. My eyes were watering too bad. Not as bad as the gas chamber on the Island, but close. My car smelled bad for 2 or 3 weeks... the clothes I had on, I had to throw away.

elliottb

haha. I thought I was the only one who smelled it but my mom came in my room and was telling me how she woke up because of an awful skunk smell.