OT: jack-o-lantern

shale

:D Look what I made!
I carved it out of a rutabaga. Which is essentially just a large turnip, right? And turnips are traditional. In that medieval Ireland kind of way....
-giggles-

Attachments

• baga.JPG
    baga.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 26

vdituri

I like you! You make the clam laugh!
I wonder how many people know that jack o lanterns where originally made of turnips? Nice job.
How much harder was it than a pumpkin?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I didn't know they were traditional jack o lanterns! But I do know they stink to HIGH Heaven when they cook. Ewwwww!!

Good work buddy!

Allen :)

shale

It was much harder than a pumpkin! Rutabagas are not hollow like pumpkins. And no, no seeds.

I cut the top on the angle, the way you would a pumpkin, and then had to pry it out. i hollowed out the inside by alternately slicing into it, making a grid pattern and prying the insides out with a spoon and a fork. Towards the end, I just ended up scraping out the inside with the spoon, which was much easier and probably a lot safer than trying to clean it out with the knife. Then added the face!

Only thing is… the only small candles I have are scented and smell like baked goods. So I’ll be warding off the Halloween ghouls with either “buttercream” or “vanilla cupcake” Beware, ye evil spirits!:laugh:

PEMfish

Yeah that neat and unusual. Check this out; Carved the pumpkin and not me self this year!
Sorry I made them to small. ( file size, fuzzy )

Attachments

• pumpkin 006mod.jpg
    pumpkin 006mod.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 18
  • pumpkin 001mod.jpg
    pumpkin 001mod.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 18