OT: Birds!

kathywithbirds

Hey Terry... yeah, they're mild mannered... and quietly mischevious... watch out when you're not looking, the TV might suddenly change channel by itself or your lower kitchen cabinets might get marauded!!

tbittner

:lol:

Yeah, he is just settling in now. We've turned out the lights for him so he can get some shut eye. He wouldn't eat or drink since we got home but wouldn't you know, the lights weren't out more then 5 minutes and he is eating and drinking. Must be shy....

teresa

Just want to show you my male and female Eclectus.
Buddie my female is from a breeder and Pinky is a rescue bird from Calgary.
Pinky.jpg

BuddieMyGirl.jpg

tbittner

Beautiful!!! It never fails to amaze me that birds like these would need to be rescued. How does that happen? I mean, for what these birds cost, I can't imagine anyone not taking care of them. Unless the bird is a bit old and the owner passed away and the kids inherited it or something like that. Even then, why wouldn't they just sell it?

teresa

Beautiful!!! It never fails to amaze me that birds like these would need to be rescued. How does that happen? I mean, for what these birds cost, I can't imagine anyone not taking care of them. Unless the bird is a bit old and the owner passed away and the kids inherited it or something like that. Even then, why wouldn't they just sell it?

Well Terry, the previous owners love him very much but ever since Pinky's mum started working again, he started to get stressed and was plucking his feathers. The breeder took Pinky back and I happen to be a member of the bird forum and I volunteer to take him even though he was looking terrible and all his feathers were gone.So when he came to us , he was really in bad shape but look at him now. He is a very handsome bird and knows how to play games like " Hide and Seek" and " Peekapoo" ( I will hide behind a newspaper and he will look for me and when he finds me he will say " Peekapoo")
Buddie is a very sweet bird, typical of a girl, she speaks very softly and has a high pitch sound.
Of course "Chico" my African Grey talks the most and he is always in charge.

flricordia

The problem with selling vs adoption is that it would be just as easy for the bird to go into the hands of someone buying on a whim whereas adopting, especially through a bird club, the bird is more so assured of going into a home that is already made the commitment to keep birds.
If I had to get rid of any of mine I wouldn't even think of selling, especially to a stranger. They would have to go into homes of members of bird clubs that have pretty much donated their lives to the keeping of companion birds, and there are many around, more so than you would think.

tbittner

My wife and I have been posting to thebirdforums.com and have been getting lots of information from there. There is even an avian vet who answers questions. What other forums do you visit?

kathywithbirds

I've come across instances of business owners having a beautiful bird caged in their place of business as something like a trophy or work of art, much to the detriment of the bird. Also, as far as changing ownership of a bird, it's all about brains with a bird... if the owner dies, the bird could pine away, be totally confused at the change of ownership, pass to someone who doesn't know or understand or WANT to know about how a bird "works," or ten million other different scenarios. It's definitely NOT a case of a dog who gets adopted and gets food and love and generally is OK with it. A "pre-owned" bird should never be a first bird for someone, it should go to an experienced bird owner. My Senegal was probably wild-caught based on his band, I got him from the pet store I worked at a long time ago. I can hold him, and occasionaly pet him. Cuddling is not going to happen. If I ever found someone who he'd let cuddle him, I'd gladly give him to that person if they wanted him. It'd upset me, but he'd be happier and that would make me happy for him.

There's lots of cockatoos out there who are certifiably nuts. This comes from inadequate education on the part of the person who got the bird in the first place. They in particular respond to upbringing, handling and care a little more strongly. If not cared for properly they become screamers, pluckers, biters and do things like make circuits of their cages incessantly.

Sorry, one of my pet peeve topics...

kathywithbirds

I've come across instances of business owners having a beautiful bird caged in their place of business as something like a trophy or work of art, much to the detriment of the bird. Also, as far as changing ownership of a bird, it's all about brains with a bird... if the owner dies, the bird could pine away, be totally confused at the change of ownership, pass to someone who doesn't know or understand or WANT to know about how a bird "works," or ten million other different scenarios. It's definitely NOT a case of a dog who gets adopted and gets food and love and generally is OK with it. A "pre-owned" bird should never be a first bird for someone, it should go to an experienced bird owner. My Senegal was probably wild-caught based on his band, I got him from the pet store I worked at a long time ago. I can hold him, and occasionaly pet him. Cuddling is not going to happen. If I ever found someone who he'd let cuddle him, I'd gladly give him to that person if they wanted him. It'd upset me, but he'd be happier and that would make me happy for him.

There's lots of cockatoos out there who are certifiably nuts. This comes from inadequate education on the part of the person who got the bird in the first place. They in particular respond to upbringing, handling and care a little more strongly. If not cared for properly they become screamers, pluckers, biters and do things like make circuits of their cages incessantly.

Sorry, one of my pet peeve topics...

flricordia

cockatoos...in particular respond to upbringing, handling and care a little more strongly.
It still amazes me how my Pink Moluccan can lay her head on my shoulder and raise her wings for me to rub her back. I sometimes think that she would be content to remain like this, never eating or anything else ever again.
The goffin is the same. She cracks me up as she still is in the keening stage and will sob sounding exactly like a baby when I hold her tight and rub her head.
Amazing birds for sure.

tbittner

He is a Caique, his name is Yummy, and this guy is an absolute CLOWN! My gosh, this guy is an acrobat and friendly! Picca, our eclectis, isn't quite sure about him yet but we're keeping them apart for now.

He has already made himself right at home though. :)

Triggerjay

He is a Caique, his name is Yummy, and this guy is an absolute CLOWN! My gosh, this guy is an acrobat and friendly! Picca, our eclectis, isn't quite sure about him yet but we're keeping them apart for now.

He has already made himself right at home though. :)

I love Caique's. They are TRULY the clowns of the avian world.

Jason

kathywithbirds

Hey Terry, I would recommend a quarantine period for your new buddy. Separate room from Picca. A month or even 3 weeks should be OK, longer is always good. Same issues as the tanks -- disease spread. Usually anything that's going to show up shows up in 3 weeks.

tbittner

Jason, this guy is hilareous! He is in the same room as the reef too so I can sit and enjoy the reef and Yummy at the same time.

Kathy, we have them in separate rooms for now. Yummy is going to the aviarian vet on Wednesday for a thorough exam, including blood work. Poor guy... :)

Booze, our eclectus is a real sweet heart too. He has a really sweet personality ONCE you get him out of his cage. I just have to suffer through a few bites in order to get him out first though. He is getting a lot better about coming out though. He hasn't said a word yet but it really does sound like he is trying sometimes.

I'd also heard that you don't want a male and female in the same cage because they would most likely pair up and then they wouldn't let you anywhere near either of them. They would also only communicate with each other.

That's what I had heard, at least.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Terry, I absolutely love the Caiques. They are friendly, comical and have a nice voice. Great bird!

kathywithbirds

I'd also heard that you don't want a male and female in the same cage because they would most likely pair up and then they wouldn't let you anywhere near either of them. They would also only communicate with each other.

That's what I had heard, at least.

That's pretty much true for most birds. Once they pair off they're not really interested in being pets anymore. There are exceptions. And sometimes you're lucky, they'll be horrible to you come breeding season and OK the rest of the time. A pair in the same room, right together, separate cages, is usually OK.

Glad to hear the new buddy is happy!! They really are clowns. Worse than lories sometimes. ;D