Orange Linka

Jake

Anything special I need to know about feeding and keeping an orange linkia (aka Gumby)? I have had him about a month now and he is awesome. Constantly on the move cruising the rocks, glass, and sand. He looks like he is maintaining or gaining thickness, so I think he is doing fine. Any pointers would be helpful.

reefman420

Its a orange linikia,and he seems to be doing allright.It will get alot of its nutrition from deitrius and algae,but may also beniffit brine shrinp.

kyle1284

Anything special I need to know about feeding and keeping an orange linkia (aka Gumby)? I have had him about a month now and he is awesome. Constantly on the move cruising the rocks, glass, and sand. He looks like he is maintaining or gaining thickness, so I think he is doing fine. Any pointers would be helpful.

orange? WOW i bet that looks awesome... do u have any pictures?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
To be honest stars are still fairly un-known. Except for the ones that are dedicated scavengers we still don't know 100% what they eat or how much. One draw back to stars is that they require exquisite water quality. There entire body is hydro-vascular (or something like that) so the water isn't just around them it also supports their bodies and systems. Some stars can be exposed to water but many can NOT! Those that can't will literally melt over a few hours after being exposed and dissolve into mush. They also require and delicate and extended acclimation when you get them. I use Drip Acclimation for everything now but they really do need this always.

Another thing about stars is most have a relatively slow metabolism so if they are starving they will do it over a long period of time. Usually if something is off you'll notice small abrasions like they got cut or something and then they'll drop a leg here and there and just vanish.

They are really cool creatures which I love to see but know they are still some-what unknown in our industry.

Good luck and happy reefing.

Allen :)

vdituri

Also do a search on the site. There are some really great threads on here about stars.
One talks about them thriving better in higher salinity than we generally keep in our home tanks.

And pics would be cool too? :)

hma

Should it concern with your starfish a Linckia guildingi, he is comparable with Linckia leavigata. He seems to need a lot of feed! He lives on organic Detritus, cadaver, microscopic small invertebrate and algae. He seems in colours between Yellow - orange - brown and very seldom in lilac.

framerguy

Jake, could you possibly post a photo, clear and close up as possible for a definate ID. I think it's unlikely that what you have is a true linckia but one of the many imposters lumped under the genus. There are many imposters sold as orange linkia, Leiaster speciosus, Ophidiaster ophidianus, etc. It's probably not a big deal but a positive ID will help know it's preferred foods.

framerguy

To be honest stars are still fairly un-known. Except for the ones that are dedicated scavengers we still don't know 100% what they eat or how much. One draw back to stars is that they require exquisite water quality. There entire body is hydro-vascular (or something like that) so the water isn't just around them it also supports their bodies and systems. Some stars can be exposed to water Big Al, did you mean AIR instead of water here? but many can NOT! Those that can't will literally melt over a few hours after being exposed and dissolve into mush. They also require and delicate and extended acclimation when you get them. I use Drip Acclimation for everything now but they really do need this always.

Allen :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Some stars can be exposed to water but many can NOT!

wha? did you mean air, Al? or poor quliaty water?

:LOL:

Have yall not seen those starfish that CAN'T touch water?

Yes I meant AIR! I gotta learn to PROOF my text BEFORE hitting send :)

Jake

Well this guy is fine getting exposed to air since he seems to occasionally hang right at the top edge where he will temporarily expose himself. I will post a picture soon, I know I took one when I first got him, just need to download from the camera.... So far he has been really cool. Constantly cruising rock/glass. The tank seems much more clean since he is in there. I have much less skimmate from the skimmer, algae well under control, and the sand bed looks cleaner.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Linckia stars are frequently exposed to air in the wild with the rise and fall of the tides. Short periods exposed to air is not going to bother them.

Jake

Orange_linkia.JPG

Here is the photo taken a few minutes ago.

chum

Jake,
He's a beauty! :colorful: He looks big... What does he measure? Does he topple over any rock or corals? I saw two at the pet store, one 10" and another 12". Too big for our tank... But spectacular in the right tank. I read somewhere they grow to 16". Good luck with your guy.