Orange Corraline

Couch

I have read many posts about pink and purple coraline as well as have it covering my rocks and glass. I was moving some of my small frag rocks this morning and found some bright orange corraline. After playing around a little I started seeing this orange corraline on other rocks also, but it seems to only be growing on the rock that is buried under the sand. This is some good looking stuff and I would like to have it mature in my tank. Does anyone know how to make this algae grow out of the sand?

Melanie

Are you sure it's not an encrusting sponge? I only ask because I have a bright orange encrusting sponge that is on some of my rocks. We'd love to see some photos!

burning2nd

i have spots of orange "corraline" but some of it you see better under the leds at night then under HQi.... so im not sure

how about a pic?

Couch

No.. It is Coraline. I did not post the pic because it looks pink in the picture, but it is under actinics and looks pink in the pic. I just turned on my regular lights and it is orange. 1st pic is actinic, 2nd is normal lights.

Attachments

• orange.jpg
    orange.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 44
  • orange1.jpg
    orange1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 43

SubRosa

Orange coralline is common on rock from Tonga.But it only grows in very low light conditions.Under even weak daylights it bleaches white rapidly.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I agree. It has to do with lighting intensity. It will just turn purple over time exposed to light.

Couch

Well you seem to be right. After only today I can bearly see the orange anymore. Just one little speck of it left. It has all turned pink/purple. I tell you what though. That orange looks flourecent under the actinics and if someone could propagate this orange coraline, their tank would look like it glows in the dark. Pretty cool stuff. Oh well.