Opinions on Bowfront tank versus rectangular 90

DesertOrchid

Time to buy a new tank and I have a few questions to my fellow fishy friends.... I'm looking at a 72 gal bowfront or a 90 gal rectangular glass tank to put in my living room. I'm going to put soft corals in this one... the 125 reef is set up in a wall build in another room and I just don't get to enjoy it as much as I'd like so I 'need' another tank and dear hubby has said okay! Would like some opinions on the pro's and con's of each shaped aquarium before I make this purchase. I already have the live rock to stock it and each tank is 48 inches long so standard lighting will work. I'd appreciate your input! Thanks a bunch!

DaveK

Many people do love bowfront tanks. They do have an interesting look to them.

I'm one of the people that don't care for them, because I can't really see the full panorama when I'n off to one side, and I get less water volume and less aquascapeing area.

However the bottom line is that it's your tank. So even if everyone else in the forum agreed with me and didn't like bowfront tanks, but you still liked them, you should get the bowfront. Get what you like best.

jgking21

I've got a corner tank and love the bow front, it makes everything look bigger. Not sure the dimensions but I think you'd have more bottom space with the bow front compared the rectangle which would make it easier to aquascape. Don't think you could go wrong either way!

DaveK

... Not sure the dimensions but I think you'd have more bottom space with the bow front compared the rectangle which would make it easier to aquascape. ...

I can't see how it would be possible to get more space in a bowfront compared to a rectangular tank that occupies the same space. You have to allow for the width of the bowfront at it's widest point, the center of the tank. The bowfront is always going to cut off some of the bottom area toward the ends. This area would not be cut off with a rectangular tank.

This is why the OP is looking at a 72 gal bowfront verses a 90 gal rectangular tank. Now there may be good aesthetic reasons to choose a bowfront tank, but bottom area isn't one of them.

TylerHaworth

More volume = better!

The standard 90 gallon is 25% more water volume than the 72 bowfront!

Not to mention, I've read (never experienced) that bowfront glass is pretty tough to keep clean because the curvature reduces the effectiveness of magnet type glass cleaners

jgking21

I can't see how it would be possible to get more space in a bowfront compared to a rectangular tank that occupies the same space. You have to allow for the width of the bowfront at it's widest point, the center of the tank. The bowfront is always going to cut off some of the bottom area toward the ends. This area would not be cut off with a rectangular tank.

This is why the OP is looking at a 72 gal bowfront verses a 90 gal rectangular tank. Now there may be good aesthetic reasons to choose a bowfront tank, but bottom area isn't one of them.

as i said "not sure of the dimensions", but if they are the same width at the end then there would be more room in the middle. maybe i'm wrong and i'll go look up the dimension now.

PIMPALA

lighting is more difficult on a bowfront (slightly)

and it sucks when the seal on the front glass gives out and all of the water ends up on the floor.

other than that, no dislikes from me! lol

DesertOrchid

Hey Pimpala,

Just read your thread on the 46 bow. Wow I'm sure sorry that happened to your gorgeous set up. What brand was your tank and how old was it?? I'm leaning towards the bowfront even though it is less volume... it is also less corners for my wee grandaughter to get hurt on and I am really enjoying setting it up for her to enjoy her favorite colored fish..orange! It will be at a level she can see and we can enjoy from a sitting level in the living room.
Good luck with your survivors!! Thanks for the opinions!

lighting is more difficult on a bowfront (slightly)

and it sucks when the seal on the front glass gives out and all of the water ends up on the floor.

other than that, no dislikes from me! lol

DesertOrchid

I have a 125 wall build reef so the volume is not as big of a deal. I thought about the magnet glass cleaner and will use some filter floss cut to fit that will take up the room. Thanks for the input though! It is much appreciated.

More volume = better!

The standard 90 gallon is 25% more water volume than the 72 bowfront!

Not to mention, I've read (never experienced) that bowfront glass is pretty tough to keep clean because the curvature reduces the effectiveness of magnet type glass cleaners

DesertOrchid

The center in this 72 bow is 22 inches and the 90 gal is a standard 18 inches across the length so actually there is more room in the middle! Thanks for the input!!

as i said "not sure of the dimensions", but if they are the same width at the end then there would be more room in the middle. maybe i'm wrong and i'll go look up the dimension now.

PIMPALA

Hey Pimpala,

Just read your thread on the 46 bow. Wow I'm sure sorry that happened to your gorgeous set up. What brand was your tank and how old was it?? I'm leaning towards the bowfront even though it is less volume... it is also less corners for my wee grandaughter to get hurt on and I am really enjoying setting it up for her to enjoy her favorite colored fish..orange! It will be at a level she can see and we can enjoy from a sitting level in the living room.
Good luck with your survivors!! Thanks for the opinions!

The tank was 2 years old, and it was an oceanic tank and matching stand.

The issue with lighting, is that the ends of the bowfront are more narrow than the middle (obviously) so you either end up with a light that overhangs at the ends, and shines on the floor, or you get a light that fits the ends, and may leave a dark spot in the middle.

also, most bowfronts ive seen have a plastic center brace. they tend to give out after long periods of time.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I don't like bow front tanks, the main reason is in a reef you have to get up close and person sometime to check out the micro life in your tank or new something or other sprouting up, this is impossible to do with the curved glass and I feel you would be missing out on one of the best part/experience of owning a reef tank.

DanSReef

I love my 72 Bow Front. I hear there is a 90 Bow Front that is slightly taller....I actually would have preffered this size over the 72. I personally like to visual that bow front gives. I do not have a probelm (knock on wood) with any of the seals at this time. I have an Aquatic Life 4 tube T-5 HO light on it and use the canopy made for the tank....again....no issues (knock on wood....again).....everything fits....

IMO....my tank looks larger than other tanks that have more volume.... I have no issues with getting up close and personal with anything in the tank. I do have the glass cleaner issue....and will use a pad to make it more effective.... I have no idea why I did not think of that. I do like to push water off the front of the tank with the water pumps on a wave maker. This seems to create some nice turbulance in the tank that the corals seem to like.

Good Luck!

Lonestar

I can only speak on personal experience. My options for optimal viewing and space requirements led me to choose the 92 gal bowfront corner tank, and I have been well pleased with that choice. I use the mag-float glass cleaners and have no issue keeping the glass prestine. 75 lbs of LR was placed so that viewing from front corners to the back is possible. Fish are happy, inverts are happy, corals are happy......and most of all I am happy. The bowfront corner tank allows me to run 3 powerheads off a wavemaker unit, equally spaced apart for optimal water movement. Your wants / needs / space limitations may be different, so ultimately I see this as a matter of personal preference. Best of luck, whatever your choice.

DesertOrchid

We put it on a look thru bar/window from the kitchen into something weird called a great room that is never used except to walk through. So I really only get to enjoy the 125 when I'm in the kitchen cooking and doing the dishes. It works great for water changes and looks really awesome but unless I want to stand and gaze ( which I do alot of I'll admit) then it doesn't get appreciated like one in the living room would. Besides... I needed a place for all the extra live rock and mushroom corals that came in my good deal. And really who doesn't NEED another aquarium!! LOLOLOL!!

...Why don't you get to enjoy the 125?

Lonestar

Note on lighting. My bowfront was purchased with a custom bowfront cabinet stand w/ matching canopy. In order to service the aquarium with ease, I hung the canopy from the ceiling giving an 8 " clearance to perform necassary maint., feeding etc. I originally mounted a 36" x 4 light T5 unit in the wider portion of the canopy, and a 24" x 2 light T5 further back as the canopy narrowed. This put off nice light, but with the canopy raised, I was not getting the desired penetration. I removed the 2 light T5 and replaced with a 250 watt metal halide, and lined the inside perimeter of the canopy with stunner LED strips. This brought the lighting to a desireable level. I concur that lighting a corner bowfront is more difficult that a rectangular tank, but options are out there

DesertOrchid

I had to make up my mind today and I went with........................drum rolllll...................... ta dah!!! The 72 Bow front !!! After measuring it all out, proximity to the door way and trying to maximize the location and still be nice looking for the living room it worked out for the best. I even taped it out on the floors and wall to see just how it would be... I'm a very visual person. I did see an ad for a 90 bowfront from a place out of New York. Looked nice but for me too tall for the area. Besides...it might be spring before it got here with all the snow and bad weather they are getting and I live in Wyoming!! I have a nano bowfront and like you have no problem getting up close and personal with my critters... I'm usually found glassing the reef out with my magnifying glass. It has got to be the funniest looking thing to see I'm sure but good thing dear hubby doesn't laugh... at least out loud! LOL!! I'll be putting on the same light too as I like the looks, the computer and the lunars on them ( I actually have the 60 on my 125 reef now).

I love my 72 Bow Front. I hear there is a 90 Bow Front that is slightly taller....I actually would have preffered this size over the 72. I personally like to visual that bow front gives. I do not have a probelm (knock on wood) with any of the seals at this time. I have an Aquatic Life 4 tube T-5 HO light on it and use the canopy made for the tank....again....no issues (knock on wood....again).....everything fits....

IMO....my tank looks larger than other tanks that have more volume.... I have no issues with getting up close and personal with anything in the tank. I do have the glass cleaner issue....and will use a pad to make it more effective.... I have no idea why I did not think of that. I do like to push water off the front of the tank with the water pumps on a wave maker. This seems to create some nice turbulance in the tank that the corals seem to like.

Good Luck!