One last irritating question...

Tom Owens

Has been struck by the ban stick
Thanks in advance for putting up with all the questions lately, but:

I should be getting my new 5 stage RO/DI unit by end of next week. Since my algae problem is pretty bad, I was wondering....should I:

A) Tear it all out, scrub rock and all again.
B) Just start using the RO/DI from my new filter and let the algae die off naturally.

I know from past experience that patience is a virtue, I just wanted some opinion on this. I'm for option A.

Advice? Pros? Cons?

Thanks again,
Tom

p.s. No inverts other than turbo snails and blue legs are in at this time. One fish: Lemonpeel Angel.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I am going to copy/paste my response to a similar thread...

Starve the algae:
  • Begin using phosban (or rowaphos)media in a reactor ($30 i think). That will take care of your po4.
  • Get the nitrAtes down- clean the tank of ditritus (sponges, substrate, sump, etc), Increase water changes, set your skimmer to wet (or upgrade to a better one), use ro/di water, reduce feedings, reduce bioload.

With the above steps in place, you can either scrub the rocks(in a seperate container) and thereby remove/export the algae and all of its stored nutrients or you can just wait and let the algae die off on its own (several months?). Remember to siphon any dead or dying algae out of the tank.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Btw... your questions are not irritating :) If it wasn't for questions (and spammers), this forum would die ;)

Tom Owens

I have no nitrates or phosphates. I never have. It has to be some unknown chemical. That's my problem.

I do know that I've been using an improper container for mixing my water, and that my LFS I've been bying my RO water from is too. I also know they sold me a bogus MH bulb. (I had it tested...it was dead so far as spectrum is concerned.)

I'm doing everything the filter guys told me to do and that you guys have told me to do.

12 years ago, I had a 220 reef that was easy. I bought my water and stock from Tideline Aquatics in Charleston, SC. I never had a problem.

I remember having a gonapora coral for 3 years. From what I hear these days, that must be a world record.

Regards,
Tom

12 years later, in Atlanta (where I was born), I having nothing but problems.

Thanks large for the help,
I'm on my on here.

Tom

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Tom Owens said:
I have no nitrates or phosphates. I never have. It has to be some unknown chemical. That's my problem.

If you didn't have nitrate/phosphate you wouldn't have algae. Your tests are giving you a false negative as the algae is taking up these nutrients as they become available.

Tom Owens

I've been through this. I've tried 3 different brands of test kits. The only plausible explanation is a chemical I'm not testing for. (Heavy metals, plastic chemical bleeds, etc.)

Regards,
Tom

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The problem isn't the test kits. If in fact you did have a
(Heavy metals, plastic chemical bleeds, etc.)
non of you inverts would be alive or even the fish.

I would put all the rock in a seperate container and scrub as much of the algae off as you can and get some more herbivores in the tank. A Longspine Urchin aka Diadema setosum is an excellent algae eater.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Woodstock said:
Btw... your questions are not irritating :) If it wasn't for questions (and spammers), this forum would die ;)
:laughroll Woodstock, too funny!! Tom sometimes algae can be stubborn,it gets a spot it likes and just hangs on, the suggestions from Woodstock and Cheeks are right on, its like ammonia,it is there but the bacteria that eats it hides its presence.Steve

Tom Owens

non of you inverts would be alive or even the fish.

I just added the inverts 4 weeks ago. The Lemonpeel Angel I've had for 9 years. He lived perfectly well in the tank without a water change for 2 years. I just kept topping off at the time as my wife wouldn't give me the money for water changes.

Since I've started (with permission) to upgrade the tank, believe it or not, the situation has goten worse. Only 3 things have changed: the light, the water, and the container the water is mixed in.

Regards,
Tom

Tom Owens

A Longspine Urchin aka Diadema setosum is an excellent algae eater.

Are those the black ones I've seen before? Will they hurt any polyps or corals I add later once I get this sorted? (Never had one before.)

Thanks,
Tom

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Tom Owens said:
Are those the black ones I've seen before? Will they hurt any polyps or corals I add later once I get this sorted? (Never had one before.)

Thanks,
Tom

Yes and no they won't hurt your corals as they are master contortionists.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I just added the inverts 4 weeks ago. The Lemonpeel Angel I've had for 9 years. He lived perfectly well in the tank without a water change for 2 years. I just kept topping off at the time as my wife wouldn't give me the money for water changes.

Tom, my tank went almost that long without waterchanges and yeah it went nuts,I think the introduction of new salt mix throws out the equilibrium the tank has established, suddenly there are supplements available for growth, there is stuff growing on my rock that I didnt buy and has been dormant all this time, its a cycle of a different nature. Steve

Frankie

RS STAFF
Not irritating at all tom. I was a real pain in the begginging also and i alway got great info from everyone here. ( thats why i keep coming back) When you hook up the RO/DI system keep and eye on your ph. I found mine was droping and after some research i found out it ws the top off water being striped out completly. I started to use a liquid calcium additive and it looks like i solved the trouble with that. Now i need to watch my magnisium :/