One For The Pros - Can Live Rock Produce Ammonia???

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Here is a question for the experts.

If you remove LR from an established tank say 6 months ago. You store it dry in a Rubbermaid tub straight from the tank.

You start a new tank and use that dry LR that by now has turned green from the die-off. Rinse it off, put it in the tank and begin your cycle.

The Question of the day is:

Does that LR begin to produce ammonia within the tank?

jpsika08

I would bleach method that rock, to avoid any die-off within the tank and prevent a small cycle to happen (AKA Ammonia spike).

DaveK

If the live rock was otherwise sound, just leave it alone. No need to bleach it. After all, you are going to need to cycle the new tank anyway, so nothing lost.

jpsika08

Didn't read the, Starting a new tank cycle.

As stated by DaveK, put in the tank, no need to bleach it.

EagleEyes

Would the cycle seem normal if you used the rock for that initial ammonia spike? Anaerobic bacteria growing at the center of the rock could leach ammonia months into the setup, leaving people wondering why ammonia hasn't hit absolute zero one month into the cycle. Would those levels be negligible?

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Would the cycle seem normal if you used the rock for that initial ammonia spike? Anaerobic bacteria growing at the center of the rock could leach ammonia months into the setup, leaving people wondering why ammonia hasn't hit absolute zero one month into the cycle. Would those levels be negligible?

Ammonia is ammonia, regardless if it's from a deli shrimp, LR die-off etc.

I guess in theory ammonia could possibly leach from within the rock however, if the tank was given the proper amount of time to cycle, the amount of ammonia that would actually be detectable wouldn't really be noticed due to the biological process. The bacteria would be able to handle it due to the system being healthy enough to keep up. That's the main reason NOT to rush the cycling process. The more ammonia that is continually introduced into the system the the more efficient the biological filtration becomes.

EagleEyes

Interesting. I just hear people worrying that their ammonia levels aren't hitting zero after 4 weeks into a cycle, and figured maybe that could have been the answer. Great explanation. Thanks!

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Interesting. I just hear people worrying that their ammonia levels aren't hitting zero after 4 weeks into a cycle, and figured maybe that could have been the answer. Great explanation. Thanks!

Any time:)

A thoroughly cycled tank will require more than 4 weeks although, most of us just can't stand the wait much longer than that. LOL