OMG my brain coral ate my fire shrimp!

Yaten13

Kindof. I had my poor fire shrimp die molting unfortunately. I was pretty sure he was a goner but I was going to give him one day to either pull through, or let my CUC have some fresh meat. I look back and see this. By morning there was nothing left.

100_3827.JPG

Frankie

RS STAFF
That's not a brain coral. It looks to be a fungia or favia of some type.
can you get a better picture of the coral please?

Yaten13

Right. Some people call it brain coral, aka favia, aka pineapple, aka moonrock or some other crap. But I believe it is a favia sp. The pic is actually pretty good, but it's 100kb of a 1.5mb pic. I'll try to get a higher resolution pic up in a little bit.

Ashr

Not to bad eh? It was just by chance I was able to get this one.. it was around 1 in the morning and I just wanted to check the tank and... well yeah haha

mes1234

Are you sure the coral ate the shrimp? The shrimp shed their skeleton once a month, and they tend to hide in rock until their new soft skeleton hardens.

Yaten13

No, I'm sure. It looks like the shrimp died molting. No, I don't think that the coral caught and ate the shrimp, just that he died and the coral appears to have eaten a large part of the corpse.