old/new/old/new tank

fishhead

Greetings reefers and moderators,
It seems like its been a long time since I last visited/posted here. I'm not sure where to put this thread, but it is about a 15 year old 90 gal reef that I broke :chainsaw:down to move. I kept all my rocks(~150 lb?). I did not move.:cool:

I kept all the rocks in the 40 gallon sump (moving water & filtered of course). After a while the acrylic sump was bowing from all the water. So out they all came again, and I got a 60 Gallon Tall (4 ft x 2 ft by only 1 ft) glass tank on Craigslist.

There was still life on the rocks (GSP, monte etc..), so I decided to put my 4 x4 x 54W T5 hood that I used to have on the 4 ft. 90 on it.

After about month, the corals were actually doing quite well, the rocks at this time however were putrid, and just seemed to get worse with time. I stuck with it hoping to bring things around. I put a Reef Octopus BH90 on it, and a couple more power-heads. After about another six months it was evident that something had to be done, the rocks were so ugly and grey brown growing gook all over them.

Now it was a challenge. I live in a small apartment, but this thing is a lot smaller than the 90, so I put a sump on it (RS200). This helped a lot. The tank temp dropped several degrees from having the sump somehow. I was also able to use a turkey baster and blow sludge off the rocks to be filter socked out via the CPR CS90 overflow.

With all the extra power-heads now in the tank, the temperature was again too high. If it was only the rocks I wouldn't worry too much, but there was coral and a six-live wrass that I kept (gave all else to an LFS for peanuts). At this point i should have just given up and started something new but..I added 1/4 HP chiller from AquaEuro. This was ridiculous all this for a box of rocks I know, but I kept collecting the pieces...

DaveK

... the rocks at this time however were putrid, and just seemed to get worse with time. ...

What was it about the rocks that makes you call them putrid and getting worse all the time?

Usually you can correct LR issues with out too many problems.

fishhead

They SAT around for almost a year without very good circulation or filtration between breaking it down and figuring I would set it back up as is. They were 15 year old lr, still purple though when I stuck them in the tank for storage... will write more about that soon, the coming around of things that is

fishhead

ZO9cRejpLG8vDwY1zQro8oohwCErG4nPyE4T2xfdql8=w1040-h851-no
og77wL93pdngMSEy6

fishhead

Thanks. The picture from google photos link wouldn't take here. I can't remember if we had to use photobucket here

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I went to your url in a browser, then right clicked on your pic & selected copy image url - then click on the picture frame icon & added it there and... it worked - hope this helps :clownfish:

fishhead

cool thanks. That white stuff on the back wall is evidence that you can in fact overdose with Sealab 28

fishhead

Definitely does have an effect on alkalinity. If you read the specs one of the elements not included is magnesium. No doubt this affects the alkalinity drop

fishhead

Definitely does have an effect on alkalinity. If you read the specs one of the elements not included is magnesium. No doubt this affects the alkalinity drop<br /><br />Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

In all fairness though, I had them in my sump which is moving about seven hundred gallons an hour through 5 inches of water

fishhead

....the tank is bare bottom, which I am finding tends to run at lower alkalinity than I am used to. So the chiller worked out great, but the HOB skimmer had to go. It was replaced with an SRO1000I.
Still fought stuff on the rocks for Months, and am still fighting it. It seems to be old algae that has died, plated out and then regrew again...a mess. Should have just threw them all out and got new ones but it was a challenge..I guess.
By now the tank had some fish, some coral, crabs and shrimp but it seemed there was just too much rock in the tank, so I took out the ugliest pieces. After a lot of blasting and filter sock changes the rocks were looking better.
Now it seemed clear that there was not enough undertow, and there were dead-ish zones. So after 15 years of reefing on a much bigger setup, I finally got my first VorTech. An MP40wES(not QD). I knew when I got the pump that it was overkill for a tank only a 12" front to back & 4 feet long tank, but at this point it was obvious that I was gearing up to something bigger whether I had been consciously aware of it or not.

But first I had to deal with an evil Clown.EvilClown.jpg