okiejaco's first saltwater tank

okiejaco

Here are some pictures I took today. I think I am ready for the rock. Rock will be here tomorrow. I may go ahead and put some water in the sump. I know it will be a while before I can add fish but I right now I am looking at a pair of clowns (probably black and white), a coral beauty and maybe a yellow goby. I think 4 fish is probably it for this tank. What do you guys think? I do have a pretty large skimmer for the size of my tank.

we_have_water.jpg

sump4.jpg

base_for_rock.jpg

vdituri

Yeah, for fish that is pretty good for that tank.

Keep in mind shrimp and crabs don't really count. lol

okiejaco

I got the rock in today and it looks pretty good.. The water is a little cloudy right now. I pretty much just put it in and made sure it was stable. Might chance some around tomorrow. I have a skimmer question. How high do you set the bubbles to break? I have an Euro Reef RC 80. I took some pictures but they were not very good. I will take some more tomorrow. I think I am going to need more rock and sand. lol always something

okiejaco

Can anyone help me dial in the skimmer? The tank has cleared up a lot but I am going to have to do some more rock work. It looks pretty rough to me. I tested ph, nitrite and nitrate this morning. Ph was about 8.1 and the other two were about 10. I am going to check again in a few minutes.

Last edited:

okiejaco

Here are some more pictures that I made today. Can someone id the sponge looking things and what do I need to do with them? What about my skimmer, is it set up about right? I am going to do a wc today. Nitrites and nitrates were a little on the high side last night.

What is this?
rock_1.jpg

And this?
rock3.jpg

Am I getting close?
skimmer8.jpg

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
The way I dial in my skimmer is set the riser tube so that the top of the bubble foam is half way up the skimmer collection cup riser when the skimmer is in function. You can adjust from there for a dry skimmate or wet one. The way it looks now, the skimmate has quite a distance to travel before reaching the collection cup.

I have no idea of the other pictures. Could you get closer, clearer pictures of what you want IDed?

hma

Here are some more pictures that I made today. Can someone id the sponge looking things and what do I need to do with them? What about my skimmer, is it set up about right? I am going to do a wc today. Nitrites and nitrates were a little on the high side last night.

What is this?
rock_1.jpg

And this?
rock3.jpg

Am I getting close?
skimmer8.jpg

The first pic looks like Porites mayeri

Porites mayeri cf.

okiejaco

Thanks Heinz. It does look kind of like that. Is there anything I can do to try and keep it alive. This is a new tank that is still cycling. The rock that I got is Walt Smith Fiji rock.

hma

Thanks Heinz. It does look kind of like that. Is there anything I can do to try and keep it alive. This is a new tank that is still cycling. The rock that I got is Walt Smith Fiji rock.

Your welcome okiejaco,

to Porites cannot be said a lot. The Porites mayeri is a small polyp stony (SPS) coral often referred to simply as the Porites, the green or yellow branching form is most common. Its behavior is peaceful and can generally be placed closer to other peaceful corals in your aquarium. It requires middle to high light level combined with a strong but indirect and alternate water movement. Porites grows relatively slowly, however, changes often the skin, hence, a strong and varying water movement is also required. For continued good health, It will benefit from additional food in the form of micro-plankton. One should feed Porites in the late evening or at night there only then the tentacles are visible. I hope the information helps you.:snshne:

okiejaco

What ever the potato looking thing is, I think it is dead. It seems to be decaying. I have 30 lbs of rock and I like the way it looks but kind of wish I had some more. Maybe one of these days. Tank is still cycling. Nitrites are around 5 and trates are around 10. Does this seem normal? No ammonia and ph is 8.1. I hope to be getting close to adding a cuc in a week or so. I have the skimmer dialed and seems to be working good. Thanks Dentoid.

Heinz, I haven't seen any kind of tentacles. I am awesome it is dead. Here are a few picture. I know how you guys like pictures.

fts_of_rock.jpg

june_6_08_1.jpg

what_is_this.jpg

okiejaco

Just did a quick test. Nitrites are 1 or less and nitrates are around 2. I am getting close to being done with the cycle. I hope to order a cuc from reefcleaners pretty soon.

okiejaco

Just a quick update. Tank is doing good. I order some snails from reefcleaners.com and was very happy with everything. Kind of neat to watch the snails move around. I plan to get 2 black clownfish this Saturday, then in a month or so get a yellow watchman goby. Then later, I will probably get a coral beauty.

okiejaco

Here is a picture of my clownfish. I got some frozen mysis shrimp to feed them. That is what the lfs recommended. One question. It is made by Piscine. The lfs told me to feed one cube a day. I feed them tonight and they ate most of it but it seemed like a lot. The cubes are about 3/8" or so in size. Does this sound right? What else is good to feed clownfish?

clownfish11.jpg