okiejaco's first saltwater tank

okiejaco

This will be my first saltwater tank. It is going to be a 44 gallon corner tank with a 10 gallon for sump. If all goes will, I am going to do my 120 gallon in a few years. Right now it has 2 Oscars and a Severum in it. I figure I would start with the smaller tank and when the fish in the 120 die, I can do it. I hope you guys will help me out because I am going to have some questions. I already have a Lifereef overflow, 2 Koralia #2 power heads, a test kit and a OR 2500 return pump. I bought a refractometer that was listed in the group buy and a used ER cs 80 skimmer listed on RC. The last 2 should be here next week. The tank is plumbed but I need to had a ball valve on the return and do just a little more tweaking. I have it set in the garage for fresh water testing. I am pretty close to being ready to bring it in the house and start adding water. Not sure if I will buy a ro/di unit now or wait a little while. So, I may have to buy my water at the lfs for a little while. Still not sure on lighting. I am going to start out as a fowlr and add some zoas or something easy to take care of later on. I had thought about using one of the clamp on mh or maybe some kind of pendant light. I could use some input on lights. I am going to try and find my rock and maybe sand from someone selling out locally. That is about it for now. I will try to post some pictures when I get it moved into the house.

Last edited:

okiejaco

Tank is set up and running in the garage. I plan to bring it into the house tonight or tomorrow. I could use some help on lighting. The tank measures 22 1/4" across on the sides that are parallel. It is 25" tall. I will be mostly keeping fish and maybe some zoas. Any one have some ideas?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Zoanthids will tolerate lower lit tanks so you can get by with a few T5 bulbs. Maybe one 10k and one 15k?

goldenmean

You dont really need MH if you are just planning on zoanthids or other soft corals. T5s is a great way to go. They will give you the flexibility to even add LPS and some SPS further down the road should you so decide.

tbittner

What are the dimensions of your tank? A link to a website that sells your tank would be perfect too.

tbittner

It looks like a nice 24" T5 would be the way to go. That won't add hardly any heat AND it will let you keep just about anything, coral and clam wise. The biggest/hardest decision is how blue do you want the tank to look. Check out the pics of other tanks and then ask them what lighting they are using.

Choosing the fixture should be pretty easy, it's picking out the bulbs that you want that becomes complicated.

Tru2nr

is there a canopy with the tank? a suggestion if not would be to either build one where you could fit more than one bulb in it(different sizes to maximize your wattage) or you could get some glass cut to fit the top of it and have a couple different size fixtures but that can look a lil ghetto(kinda like what the underside of my canopy looks like with 3 different fixtures 2 24" and 1 36" heh

tbittner

Most fixtures come with adjustable legs. Yeah, you'd have 1" hanging over on either side but there aren't any lights in that 1" space. It would look fine with a 24" fixture.

okiejaco

No canopy and I don't really want to hang a light from the ceiling, not sure the Wife would go for it either. I could build a canopy and hang a 20" light inside. I am a carpenter by trade, so it would be very hard for me to do. They problem with that, is that I would probably go ahead and build a new stand to match. lol I got my ER skimmer today. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the help guys.

okiejaco

Will this be enough light to keep a few zoas? I am about ready to order a ro/di and a light and was wanting a few opinions before I spend my hard earned money.

tbittner

You'll be able to keep anything you want under that light. Including clams! That's a really good light.

I believe that most lights have a rail that the legs slide on though so they can be adjusted to fit a multitude of tanks. But you and your corals will be really happy with that light.

okiejaco

Re: okiejaco's first saltwater tank (update with a picture)

Here is a picture of my tank. I have a ro/di unit, tds meter, lights and some other things coming. I have 40 lbs of sand and I also have bought enough IO salt to make 100 gallons. Still need to get a few things but I am getting closer. I was thinking about getting some base rock and then put my rock, sand and water in at the same time. Then later I might buy a couple of pieces of live rock at the lfs to help seed everything. What do you guys think? I am open to suggestions. I was thinking about building a pvc rack about 2" tall to set my rock on. What do you guys think is the best way?

44sw.jpg

Last edited: