ok itsa spreading like madd need some help

Tru2nr

ok this stuff is starting to reall spread and im getting worried and i need to know if i need to destroy it :rocket: or it its like some sort of benificial algae
its slimy but it doesn't rub right off the rocks
DSCN1129.jpg

DSCN1130.jpg

DSCN1131.jpg

these are all on different rocks anyone help plz?

Royalscott

It's pretty whatever it is. Scott had something that growing on the sand bed. It was slimy and stayed together until I sucked it up this morning during a water change.

Sorry, not much help. Hopefully, someone can tell you exactly what it is and what to do.

panmanmatt

Looks like cyanobacteria to me, also known as red slime algae. If you do a search you will find tons of info on it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Increase FLOW

Increase water changes and be sure to vacuum/siphon as much as you can during water changes.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
looks like a red encrusting algae to me, your lighting look (sorry lol) odd, in these pics, that and the corraline growth on what looks like base rock or dry rock, what are you lighting with? what levels are alc/calk/mag? if its not rubbing off I dont think its the red tide

Tru2nr

the pics r a bit off cuz i was playn' around with the white balance on my camera and my calc is 400 alk 9 mag is around 1200 currently bringing it up i run 206w of PC lightning 1 36" 10k and blue and 2 24" 10k and blue itsa weird setup i know but it doesn't rub off which is why i don't think itsa red slime or anything and my flow comes from a 2x 1200powerhead a 900 powerhead 600powerhead and then the 1700 from the sump/fuge so ive got plenty of flow and it grows in high flow area's

ReefGuy69

i dont think its slime algae. that will rub off if you rubbed it. looks like an encrusting algae. i have a spot or two if that in my tank. In my tank it seems to start off looking like that then it will turn a dark maroon or almost black looking then it turns a deep purple. which is coraline algae and thats beneficial. i wouldnt worry about it.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I went thru your chronicle pics, your tank has had algal stages like ive never seen! must of been the tap water or something, anyway this is likely (hopefully) the end game of the cycle, looks like your going to end up with some very interesting rock

Tru2nr

hahah yeah well 6 months of tap water will do that to ya hehehehe yeah ive just never seen algae like this before :weird:

prow

hummm, what you have there is the start of a red turf algae. likely the other aglaes will go away as the turf slowly but surely takes over. some have had luck with mexican turbo snails eating it. the real pain with this algae is it likes high water flow and is not dependant on excess nutrients. if its just on one rock, take that rock out if not let the battle begin:flame:

rmlevasseur

Interesting. I have a rock with little spots of red on it that I received from Premium Aquatics which is currently cycling. Looks like this, but much less. Won't scrub off. Never heard of red turf algae. Will have to look that up.

prow

jwarren, the only issue with it, aside from looking ugly to some, is it will over grow on corals, some corals though have a good defense to deal with it, but not all;)

Tru2nr

yeah it doesn't rub off i thought it was coralline at first to untill i felt that it was kinda slimy and it doesn't come around untill i was starting to raise my mag which is what led me to beleive that it was coralline especially because the red stuff isn't even like 3D so to speak only texture is the slime but the sliminess made me think otherwise

Triggerjay

I had some of this once in my 55g. It is "fuzzy", and not a slime. It eventually went away on its own. I saw no problems from it. It didn't affect my corals or livestock.

Jason

prow

its not coralline its turf algae. and it is common in new set ups, but if you let it get a foot hold, look out.

kathywithbirds

Hey I had some like that. It came and went, wasn't too much of it and yeah, it got a little fuzzy if it grew some. My scopas ate it. Haven't seen it since. Then again, I haven't seen ANY type of algae besides corraline since I got him.

Tru2nr

yeah ive noticed my yellow tang picking at it but it didn't seem to disappear and my setup isn't exactly new i mean its been running for about a year and i was lookn' at a scopas tang but im not gonna be able to get one in my 55g tank cuz i already have a yellow tang orange prawn goby lawnmower blenny and a green manderin and as everyone has told me im at my limit with fish its not fuzzy though at all