OK...all you NC members...

ReefLady

Staff member
In all fairness you did stay in one of the MOST rural areas around LOL! With that being said we are WELL known for our less than straight roads. It's often said that the roads were laid out by painting a snails behind and letting it meander through the hills/mountains. If you look ahead far enough at night many times you can see your own tail-lights ahead of you it's so curvy LOL!

LOL. that's funny. Yeah, we knew we were going to be pretty rural...which was cool. Not complaining. I think we just thought we'd find more swimming holes, waterfalls, etc "close" to us. But "close" in that area seems to be defined differently than it is here. :) I wouldn't have wanted it more congested/busy - the laid back, slowness is so much part of the allure. We were laughing because the tourists were the only ones going over the speed limit - here; if you do less than 10mph over the limit, you're likely to get run off the road. ;-)
Some of those mountain roads were *scary*! Of course, we're in a 3/4 ton, 4wd, extended cab PU, so it seemed like the truck was much longer than some of the curves. LOL. And I always seemed to be on the side that was 6" from the 1,000 foot drop. ;-)
The wildlife was cool - we had deers walking through our front and back yard. I actually thought the snake was cool (hubby was not so convinced, since it was on it's way *into* the house when he found it.) ;-) It just made us a little more cautious with the kids & dogs trampling around. It's not like we're "city folk" we get deer, moose, fox, & fisher cats in our yard all the time. The spiders & snakes just aren't as creepy here. :)

We're definitely thinking of the NC coast next summer. First need to find a beach that is at least semi "dog friendly". But yeah, we're likely confined to the summer months - I just can't pull the kids from school for that long. It'll more than likely be July, which I know will be the worst. But what we're "aiming" for (ha!) is a house on the oceanfront that we really won't have to leave. Something where we can stay, swim, boogie board, tan, relax, watch the kids off the deck. But something where it is a relatively short drive (or walk/bicycle) to small restaurants, ice cream shops, etc. Does that exist? I was looking at Topsail - looks pretty dog friendly. It's also pretty far from here, so definitely a stop-over. Anyway, too far away too think about right now, but I want to start researching early.

Again, I appreciate everyone's input. We had a fantastic time. I was going through the pics yesterday, and my husband and I both commented that for being in a place that was so rural, we sure did quite a bit. What an absolutely gorgeous area.

mps9506

Funny you mention the speed limit thing. We have a major mix of locals and northern transplants living in our part of the state. You notice it on the roads, with half the drivers going 10 over the speed limit the other half going 10 under the speed limit. The locals say the yankees can't drive and the northerners say the rednecks can't drive. :)
Topsail beach is dog friendly last time I checked, plenty of shops and local restaurants on the island. Al mentioned Corolla/Duck above. That is a gorgeous part of the Outer Banks, I don't know how much the kids would enjoy, but my family used to own a place up there and we would spend a good bit of the summer there. We would walk up the beach in the mornings and watch the wild horses. It is close enough to Nags Head and Kill Devil Hills which is full of stuff for the kids to do as well if they don't want to wake up that early to see horses playing on sand. I'm not sure about the dog friendliness of the beach though.
Check out Ocean Isle Beach and maybe even Carolina Beach. Carolina Beach doesn't allow dogs on the beach during the summer months, but, if you get some kayaks/canoes or john boats you can go over to Masonboro Island or numerous sand bars with the dogs and they can run and swim to their hearts desire. I love taking my dog over to "Mase" I usually do it in the fall and winter as he seems to really enjoy running around then, the 90 degree heat seems to make him less active in the summer. He prefers to just lie down next to me.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yes Mike is correct. Corolla/Duck are super peaceful and not at all like the "Active" beaches most are accustomed to. It was one of those vacations where you can actually REST and relax.

Watching the wild horses is a HUGE treat in itself!!

Ahh Carolina Beach! I actually had my 4x4 truck IN the ocean there! Oh Senior Week memories! If you need directions to and from the JAIL let me know :) Also IF you happen to drive your vehicle INTO the ocean and sand bars (it's an Off-road MECCA or was in 1989) you'll want to be SURE to visit the Car-Wash to get the salt water and all the LIVING organisms OUT of your truck bed. A day in the sun tends to "Ripen" all those things in your truck bed! DON'T ASK :D

mps9506

It's still an offroad beach destination. But you need a pass to get out there now, not free like it used to be. I think it's like $5 a day or $25 for a year. Something cheap. They have actually really done a lot to improve the boardwalk area and such of "CB." Much nicer over the last two or three years than when I first moved down.
Still see confederate flags on every passing truck and plenty of mullets in the area though.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Still see confederate flags on every passing truck and plenty of mullets in the area though.

LMAO! The picture of my truck IN the ocean didn't SHOW the flag but it was there. I have some "Interesting" pictures of my mullet!

And for the record... "I'm bringing MULLET back!!"

Next time I'll wave as I drive by with my mullet and rebel flag :D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Wow! GREAT pics!!! looks like an AWESOME place to vacation... wait.. it IS!!

Seriously thanks for sharing :)