Oh my why is this not public knowledge?!?!?!

kelsyleyendecker

Homies... the day we added the Blenny to our 10 gal, our giant hermit was all over the place trying to get to him so we had to exchange him for the clownfish. Once we got the clown in there, the crabbie became very inactive. Even the kids were like maybe he's scared of the clown. So for a day or so he hasn't been moving. I was a bit worried. Water levels were good. Eating is fine. So tonight, I go to feed clowndog and I see the crab... out of his shell but right next to it and not moving! I yelled to the kids, "Oh no! I think I killed crabbie!" But I looked past the rock to the other side of his shell only to see moving parts.

OK so NOWHERE in anything I read about all this have I seen anything about molting. We have a tarantula so we are super familiar with this process for our creepy crawler. But clueless that the crab did this. I just thought they moved shells. Duh, mom. They have an exoskeleton. But whatever. I wasn't even thinking about how they grew. So my friends, our Barney is not in fact dead, but back in his shell (same shell) and left us a present. But I missed the process. We have been blessed enough to watch the process with our tarantula twice but not crabster. It was not like that when I left at 8am. But by 10pm, BAM! So, since not everyone gets to see hermits out of their shells or a molt I figured I'd take some pics and post them. We are geeky homeschooling nerds when it comes to science stuff so seize any opportunity for life lessons!

865e4d1c6ec544f8518fb4fe661c97e4.jpg

beaabee598944e90444b1ec0450f9c03.jpg

ce92ae50e898926031ba219b907ee2b5.jpg

f876a75aed1705e87d4179fbfb0bc65e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I remember getting my 1st cleaner shrimp, a few days latter... I was like bummer he died, posted here & members told be "bet he molted" sure enough he did, he went into hiding until his new shell hardened & then a few days latter reappeared.

Seems everyone experiences this once... Glad to hear he is okay !