Official first post. Getting a bc hqi!!!!!! What should i also be getting?

Touring

So im goignt to pick up a HQI and needed to know what else i had to throw in the shopping cart. It comes with a protien skimmer so i dont need that. there are alot of acc. for the bio cube so do i just throw them all in the cart so i can make sure i have everything? Do i just need the live sand and the rock and just cycle the water for about a month till i get all my levels correct? im in crestview florida just incase someone is close by and can help me out. thanks everyone

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello :wave: and welcome to RS!

I'd make sure you have:

Heater (just in case)
Test Kit(s) - API Reef Test Kit
Salt
Sand
Rock

buckets
refractometer (don't waste time on hydrometer)
hose
spare heater
spare powerhead
spate thermometer
(all the above for water change)

a good quaiity RO/DI unit from the start is a GREAT investment

I'm sure I've forgotten some thing but this is a good start.

carlagracie

What he said.I to have a biocube 29. I would highley reccomend replacing the pump with a maxi-jet 1200 for flow. I did that and quite honestly you dont need a powerhead. Either costs the same but the powerhead goes in the tank where you will see it wheres the pump is hidden. My tank is new as well on my 3rd week. I would suggest some cured live rock about 20-25 pounds and 20 pounds or so of live sand. You dont have to but I would suggest that you dont even use the bioballs. I will have my Intank media basket tomorrow which replaces the bioballs here is a link. BioCube - Aquarium Filtration Upgrades & Supplies. From what I hear they do amazing work and will let you know tomorrow. I was going to buy an RO/DI unit and I called the company and to make a long story short my well water is HORRIABLE and a unit wouldnt work to good for me from what the company told me. ALSO take it SLOW I have made massive mistakes in the past and never had a tank last over 6 months. I would not use tap water or well water no matter how good you think it is. I use to live in Florida and I know how bad the water down there is. Also if you get good cured live rock it will help your tank cycle faster in my experience anyway. It is different in every case but I believe my tank was cycled in 1 week. Still wait a bit before you add livestock. In my case I waited a la week and a half after my tank had the ammonia spike to add anything. Its been a little over 3 weeks now and my tank is doing great! If you have ANY questions about your biocube please PM me and I will try to help the best that I can.

CarmenH

A chiller might be a consideration? I just passed up one of these on sale because apparently they run really hot...

carlfike

Hello :wave: and welcome to RS!

I'd make sure you have:

Heater (just in case)
Test Kit(s) - API Reef Test Kit
Salt
Sand
Rock

buckets
refractometer (don't waste time on hydrometer)
hose
spare heater
spare powerhead
spate thermometer
(all the above for water change)

a good quaiity RO/DI unit from the start is a GREAT investment

I'm sure I've forgotten some thing but this is a good start.

That about sums it up. Welcome to the forum!