Odyssea Lighting

Techno-Vicki

I have had an Odyssea, PCs, T5s, HQIs, and LEDs. My Oddyssea was good for about a year, and then the ballast burned up. They are known for it. If you have money to do anything (except PC) do it! I would go T5 before Odyssea. Next HQI's (produce heat and high electric bill) if possible and you plan on staying with the hobby, go LED. LOVE them.

abulgin

First, if you're going to make sweeping statements like "WILL BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN--DON'T EVER BUY IT", please provide some backup for such statements, like links that provide factual evidence of such disasters. By failing to do so, you lose credibility and further the dissemination of incorrect information. I would worry more about the cracked-out, home-made, hobbyist-wired lighting fixtures and retrofits that many hobbyists put together than this Odyssea fixture.

Second, I purchased the 48" Odyssea 2x250W HQI fixture for my 110 gallon display (48"x30"x18") in December 2007. This fixture replaced six 54W T5 HO bulbs (4x10,000K and 2x 460nm actinics). When Aquatraders sends you the fixture, it's my understanding that the bulbs are whatever they have available at the moment. Mine came with 20,000K bulbs, which I think makes the tank look great, but this is a very subjective issue. My corals (softies, shrooms, and LPS) had an immediate and positive reaction to the change in lighting--they have never looked happier and I have seen pretty good growth of my softies (my LPS are too new to notice too much growth). I am thinking about replacing the 20,000K bulbs with 14,000K bulbs, as I think the spectrum may be a little more conducive to coral growth. So far, I have been very happy with this fixture. The bulbs fired up immediately, the fixture and ballasts run cool and quiet (the ballasts are warm to the touch, but by no means hot).

As to the comments, "My ballast burned up after a year--I would never buy this fixture again", think about that statement--If my ballasts quit working after a year, I'll replace them with IceCaps (I've read on Reef Central that switching from the stock ballasts to IceCap makes a world of difference, but I have no personal experience to back up this claim). Considering I paid $359 for this fixture and the next cheapest comparable fixture (Aqualight Pro or Coralife) is at least $1,000, I'm not too concerned about the possibility of eventually (tomorrow or a year from now) having to pay an additional $240 to buy two IceCap replacement ballasts.

As to the comment, "The bulbs are just blue"--no, they are dual actinics.

Although I generally agree that you get what you pay for, I can honestly say that I think I got a GREAT deal on a quality MH fixture. Could I upgrade the ballasts and get more/better light? Maybe, but my animals are doing great, so why bother?

Andy

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I purchased the 48" Odyssea 2x250W HQI fixture for my 110 gallon display (48"x30"x18") in December 2007...So far, I have been very happy with this fixture

Well you've had for a few months and I'm glad your happy with it but your obviously one of the few. Just do an internet search and you'll understand what I mean.

As to the comments, "My ballast burned up after a year--I would never buy this fixture again", think about that statement--If my ballasts quit working after a year, I'll replace them with IceCaps

Well if your looking to save money why would you want to pay twice ?

abulgin

Well you've had for a few months and I'm glad your happy with it but your obviously one of the few. Just do an internet search and you'll understand what I mean.

If you read the entire thread at Reef Central on this fixture, I think you'll see that there are many, many satisfied persons who've purchased this fixture. Most of the problems noted about the fixture related to an older model that had different ballasts.

Well if your looking to save money why would you want to pay twice ?

Uh, that makes no sense. Why would I pay $1,000 for a fixture, when I can get the exact same fixture except for ballasts for $650 cheaper and when the only risk is that I may have to spend an additional $260 for ballasts some time in the future? Simple math tells me that I'd still save almost $400. That's not paying twice. That's called a smart purchase.

framerguy

Here's a fact to back up the claims. I purchased those same lights from Aquatraders (the worst customer service in history). After one week the flourescent ballast went out. After no satisfaction, or even a return email or call from these jokers I bought the Icecap 660 for the flourescents. Then a month later, I smell smoke and the center MH ballast is boiling smoke! What if I hadn't been home. These lights are GARBAGE!!!!!!!! And dangerous. You can defend them if you want and maybe your house won't burn and your family and possesions won't get go up in flames.

abulgin

Here's a fact to back up the claims. I purchased those same lights from Aquatraders (the worst customer service in history). After one week the flourescent ballast went out. After no satisfaction, or even a return email or call from these jokers I bought the Icecap 660 for the flourescents. Then a month later, I smell smoke and the center MH ballast is boiling smoke! What if I hadn't been home. These lights are GARBAGE!!!!!!!! And dangerous. You can defend them if you want and maybe your house won't burn and your family and possesions won't get go up in flames.

When did you buy it?

abulgin

November 06

If memory serves, I believe the ballasts were swapped out by Odyssea and replaced with electronic ballasts after that date to address similar complaints.

I'm sure you could find similar problems with every fixture, and every ballast, that is made. Things don't always work right. Look, obviously there's a reason this fixture is $700 cheaper than comparables--maybe it's cheap ballasts, maybe it's cheap bulbs, who knows, but a lot of people have purchased the revised version of this fixture and had very few problems with them.

framerguy

I just hope you can see why I have a serious problem with Odyssea and Aquatraders. If they had just bothered to return any of my numerous emails and phone messages, all of which were cordial in the beginning, things may have been different.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Uh, that makes no sense. Why would I pay $1,000 for a fixture That's called a smart purchase.

You can buy some quality 48" 2x250w fixtures between 600-$800 !

when I can get the exact same fixture except for ballasts for $650 cheaper and when the only risk is that I may have to spend an additional $260 for ballasts some time in the future? Simple math tells me that I'd still save almost $400. That's not paying twice.

Really ?
Well what if it's not just the ballasts but also the bulbs ? That's another $200 isn't it math wiz ? What if it's your whole house ?

Are you involved in the sale of the Odyssea fixtures ? It seems suspicious to me that you join this site and vehemently defend this product when there's overwhelming evidence that it's a POS !

abulgin

You can buy some quality 48" 2x250w fixtures between 600-$800 !

Really ?
Well what if it's not just the ballasts but also the bulbs ? That's another $200 isn't it math wiz ? What if it's your whole house ?

Are you involved in the sale of the Odyssea fixtures ? It seems suspicious to me that you join this site and vehemently defend this product when there's overwhelming evidence that it's a POS !

--I wasn't one to you. I find it amusing that a Reef Sanctuary "staff member" would choose to degrade posters with quips like "math wiz". I have been very cordial in my posts to you, so I wouldn't expect such comments from a fellow poster, let alone a staff member.

As to your substantive statements, I acknowledge that Aquatraders apparently has a bad history of customer service. I have read, however, that when people finally haven gotten a hold of customer service and complained about a bad ballast or bulbs, they have sent replacements free of charge. Regardless, you can get replacement HQI bulbs for $70/each or cheaper. Even with that, assuming you got no relief from Aquatraders, you're still saving $250.

I'd like to know where you can get 2x250W HQIs in a complete setup with fans, ballasts, etc. for $600 other than Aquatraders. I'm sure you could get pendants for $300 each, but I doubt they would come with ballasts or hanging equipment. I'd also like to know the expieriences hobbyists have had with bad fixtures made by other manufacturers. I'll bet there are similar stories.

I am not associated in any way with Aquatraders and I haven't "vehemently" defended anything. I am simply a one-time customer of Aquatraders who has had no problems with my fixture so far. I joined this forum because I was looking to replace my 20,000K bulbs with 14,000K bulbs, and I remembered that the thread on Reef Central regarding this fixture discussed certain bulbs that didn't work with the fixture. RC was down for maintenance when I tried to access the thread, so I googled the fixture and found this thread. I simply wanted to share my experiences.

I did a lot of research on this fixture before I bought it and saw all the comments posted elsewhere about how it will burn your house down, etc. I was simply stating that all of these comments appear to have related to an older model of the fixture, and the problems appear to have been resolved through improvements to the ballasts. If you read the RC thread on this fixture, which is about 25 pages long and filled with hobbyists' experiences with the fixture, I think you'll see what I mean. I stand by my statement that many of the DIY lighting fixtures I've seen or read about pose more of a fire hazard than any Aquatraders fixture.

I just think there are a lot of uncertainties/misimformation with this hobby, and there are tons of conflicting opinions regarding all sorts of matters. My point in posting to this thread in the first place was that posters don't help others make informed decisions by making broad, unsupported statements about any piece of equipment. If you've had a bad experience, share it. If you've read others' experiences, share it. If you've read reports of fires, locust swarms, and floods, share them by sharing the link/article. But don't make statements about any piece of equipment you can't or don't want to support with facts/anecdotes.

Good luck with carrying out your duties as a "Staff Member", whatever they may be.

Last edited by a moderator:

boozeman

It seems to me that Greg has had a very negative experience with this fixture and his being a rather credible and upstanding member of this forum caries great weight. Abulgin, did you ever try to contact the manufacturer about them sending you the 20k bulbs to your dismay? By looking at your posting history here and across three other forums, I can only come to the conclusion that your own experience with them was 'less than favorable'.
thank you for adding to RS and :welcomera

abulgin

You've drawn the wrong conclusion. I don't know what four forums you've looked at, but I've only posted to three--this one, Reef Central and WWM. The only one in which I expressed any "disappointment" was Reef Central--at getting 20,000K bulbs. I then did some research and received some advice through WWM, and was satisfied thereafter that the 20,000K bulbs would be fine for my application. So, no, I never contacted Aquatraders about the bulbs they sent with the fixture. My only issue with Aquatraders is that they don't tell you in the product description what bulbs you're getting. I guess that means I hate Aquatraders, have had a terrible experience with them and am going to spend the next week bashing them and their products??!

You have missed the point of my posts. I have no experience with Aquatraders' customer service, and I've not posted anything good or bad about MY experience with customer service. I simply posted information about MY experience with MY fixture that is working well. I don't doubt that others who have purchased the fixture have had problems, as evidenced by this thread. I guess I got lucky so far . . .

Varga

I have been super happy with my Odyssy 1134W fixture.
I contacted 15 people who owned them, they were all happy still.
there is one post by some guy whos ballast melted but the new ballast are great.

for a 6' 3x250w HQI + 4x96w Actinic I paid $589 shipped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
compared to the corolife which was $1499+shipping which also says MAE IN CHINA on the box!!!!!
corals are growing out of control :)

sebastian

My Odessa 2x250w +260w actinic is 20 mnts pld now and working perfect - i have new electronic ballast....... but....bulbs are crappy....not lastingf long.....and i see fields for improvement but ...for $700 diffr in price i don't think that coralife made in chine is that much better (deff. better but not much , i mean $ 700)

BN251

I have been super happy with my Odyssy 1134W fixture.
I contacted 15 people who owned them, they were all happy still.
there is one post by some guy whos ballast melted but the new ballast are great.

for a 6' 3x250w HQI + 4x96w Actinic I paid $589 shipped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
compared to the corolife which was $1499+shipping which also says MAE IN CHINA on the box!!!!!
corals are growing out of control :)

I have the 24" 380w fixture and how can you tell if the ballast is the newer version that dont burn up? Im afraid to set it up

chrome91

I have the 24" 380w fixture and how can you tell if the ballast is the newer version that dont burn up? Im afraid to set it up

when did you order it? i got the same one as you off of ebay about 2 weeks ago and its been fine and running cool

BN251

when did you order it? i got the same one as you off of ebay about 2 weeks ago and its been fine and running cool

I am not sure I purchased it from someone localy. I see a cooling fan vent on the ballast but no fan is there really suppose to be a running fan there? Would you have pictures of your fixture itself and the ballast? I just want to see if mine is any different.