Odyssea Lighting

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
There was a thread at another site about these fixtures and the reviews were mixed. I have never bought anything from them so I can't help but I'll see if I can find the thread.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I heard that the housings (on the PC's anyway) were kinda cheap, once they were taken apart, they were a huge PITA to get back together. The working components were good tho, especially for the price, but I also heard that the bulbs were crap. I did buy some 50/50 bulbs from a guy that sells Jebo (so I think the bulbs were also) and they were a lot better than the JBJ bulbs I was using before.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
BTW, if you do end up getting that fixture, let us know, I may be interested in taking the MH plunge... eventually.

gussy

There is no warranty on Odessea. They change their brand every couple of years to get away. I can tell you the long story, but you would be more convinced if you have friends in No. CA ask them to check out the store that sells it.

gussy

BTW, I can sell you those at the same price too!! They are basically cheaper version of JEBO. To give you an idea of how to do business in China...they will sell you the same thing at almost whatever price you dictate. The quality will just be lower. Some people don't care as they will just change their brand every once in a while. However, this is not to say that the manufacture is crap as you can also tell them what quality you want and they will quote you a price.

RANDY

Glad To Hear People Piping Up About Products And Their Experiences With Them. Btw Do Not Ever Purchase Any Lighting System From "arcadia", Brutal Service For An Expensive And Poorly Built Lighting System. Take A Look At "orbit", Awesome And Economical!

fidojoe

Fish Addict
A friend of mine bought a single MH fixture (w/ 3 cords version) and its actually pretty decent. The only thing we both agree sucks about it is the lack of good reflectors on the PC bulbs. The bulbs that come with them leave a lot to be desired, as the PC's are just really blue bulbs, not actinic, and the MH only has halfway decent color. I think with at least one of the PC bulbs replaced with a true actinic it would probably look pretty good. If anyone plans to get one of these, just plan on getting new bulbs from a different brand to put in there.

cellbio

I purchased a set of Odessea lights and in less than a year the ballasts had gone out. If I had to do it over there is no way I would purchase this lighting system again.

reefman420

I was useing the 48 inch 2x150 watt hqi set up,I was getting decent growth from my sps,but then i changed to 2x250watt pfo halides on xm10k's awsome growth and coloration

They are good fixtures,just mixed reviews,and they also advertise a 175 hqi bulb,i have yet to see one of those

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
These are very dangerous lights there are several threads about the burning up catching fire etc... Not worth the money

framerguy

Never Never Never buy anything from Aquatraders or anything made by Odyssea. I can't be emphatic enough here!

reefman420

now that i think about it,my ballast box did get pretty hot.

cant go wrong with pfo lighting,I have their dual 250 watt ballast,runs quite and cool

sebastian

i have Odessa for over a year.,.../very happy...electronoic ballast....the one with fire problems were oler vers...magnetic ballast.....ovver nall happy

ReefGuy69

i was looking into one of the units when i upgrade my lights. so is it safe to say if i got one of the electronic ballasts i wouldnt have to worry about the fire issues they had??? or should i keep saving for a better unit?

reefman420

Ide keep saveing and just do a retrofit kit,I paid 600 for a pfo dual 250 watt ballast,wireing,quick connects and sockets,That not to bad

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
i was looking into one of the units when i upgrade my lights. so is it safe to say if i got one of the electronic ballasts i wouldnt have to worry about the fire issues they had??? or should i keep saving for a better unit?

Well do you want to take a chance ? In this hobby you get what you pay for so IMHO I would want to invest ONCE in a quality fixture that will last many years instead of something that could potentially be a fire hazard and may not last very long. Just my 2 pennies.