Odysea t5 fixtures on ebay

Skywalker

I noticed some great deals on ebay with these odysea brand t5 four bulb fixtures selling for around $80. Anyone on here have any experience with this brand or buying reef lights off ebay? It seems pretty cheap but what do I know???

DaveK

There are usually considered to be OK, but nothing fantastic. Offhand, I don't think they use an individual reflector for each bulb. This does cut down on the amount of light you get out of the fixture.

Your obviously going to get cheep bulbs. Compare the bulb replacement costs to the price of the fixture. Corners had to be cut someplace to get to that price.

That being said, the price is low, so you don't have much at risk if it doesn't work out. Also, if there is a problem, you can usually repair a T5 fixture with off the shelf parts.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Ebay, and never use it, but others feel differently.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Odysea had a really bad rep a few years back, fixtures catching on fire type bad rep. Very likely they addressed that but it's certainly a low end fixture. Will it work, sure it will. Would I buy it, nope :)

You try looking for a used fixture locally? Ati are really good ones with individual reflectors.

Skywalker

Thanks for the replies. What does ati stand for? I noticed their reflectors were silver but german built and very pricey. I imagine thats because of the quality? Do they make bulbs as well? I also was looking on fosters site and they had a coralife 48" fixture for around $200. Is coralife a better product than Odysea? I've always bought my lights off craigslist and they dont last long because they are used.

hummer41269

I looking for lights too I'm finding you get whar you pay for either you pay up front or in the end on bulbs ...

may2024

I used one of the older Odysea fixtures for a couple of years never had any problems with it. I did buy nicer bulbs when the original one needed to be replaced you can buy them from aquatrader.com for the same price or less than they are on eBay.

Galaxy