Octopus DNW 110 or ASM G-2?

atcaw94

Which is better? The Octopus is the 2009 style. The skimmer would be running on either a 40 breeder/20 sump or 58 tank/30 sump. I bought a SWC 150 but it's to big for my sump, and I don't think I have enough room to run it out of the sump. I thought I read that the Octopus/SWC are prone to leak out of the sump. I also read some places where ASM lacks build quality.
Thanks
DJ

taklein65

I would go with the DNW 110 the ASM G-2 I had never really work very good. They use cheap material build is ok. Some people love them I had one and didn't.

atcaw94

i have a asm g-2 and i love it..never had any issues

Now I'm really confused, seems that most people like the skimmer. Basically I'm trading a SWC-150 for either a Octopus 110 or the ASM G2 with gate mod. Both skimmers are about a year old. The ASM's are sure a lot more new, about $100. Which do you think would be a better one if I move up in tank size? It's going on a 40 breeder with a 20 gal sump, or my 58 with a 30 sump,but when I move up to say a 75 or 90, I want to be able to keep the same skimmer. Is there an advantage to a recirculating skimmer?
Thanks

taklein65

I set my tank up in June 07' it is 120 gallon with a 40B as sump/ref TWV about 140 gallons w/heavy bio load 20 plus fish. I bought the G-2 as it was recommended as a good cheap skimmer on most of the forums I read both good and bad. I had it running for about 6 months very little skim mate if I changed the settings it would overflow. In reading the forums I then did the gate mod this was an improvement no more floods skim mate was still low. I then did the mesh mod this too was an improvement now I got about 3/4" to 1" of skim mate this took about 2 weeks and was still green tea color not dark like pictures from others. I than did the recirculating mod this was a bigger improvement now I got 3/4" to 1" in 1 week and just a little darker than before I ran it like this for about a 1.5-2 years. I finally had a enough and bought an ETSS800XR from an other reefer ran this skimmer for about 6 months and it would fill the Large ETSS waste Collector half full in a week with dark skim mate. I replaced this skimmer on 11/2009 (big skimmer not pretty setting out in living room) with an RK A250 skimmer and it pulls just as good as the 800 did. Just ask if you have any more questions.

Tim

atcaw94

I set my tank up in June 07' it is 120 gallon with a 40B as sump/ref TWV about 140 gallons w/heavy bio load 20 plus fish. I bought the G-2 as it was recommended as a good cheap skimmer on most of the forums I read both good and bad. I had it running for about 6 months very little skim mate if I changed the settings it would overflow. In reading the forums I then did the gate mod this was an improvement no more floods skim mate was still low. I then did the mesh mod this too was an improvement now I got about 3/4" to 1" of skim mate this took about 2 weeks and was still green tea color not dark like pictures from others. I than did the recirculating mod this was a bigger improvement now I got 3/4" to 1" in 1 week and just a little darker than before I ran it like this for about a 1.5-2 years. I finally had a enough and bought an ETSS800XR from an other reefer ran this skimmer for about 6 months and it would fill the Large ETSS waste Collector half full in a week with dark skim mate. I replaced this skimmer on 11/2009 (big skimmer not pretty setting out in living room) with an RK A250 skimmer and it pulls just as good as the 800 did. Just ask if you have any more questions.

Tim

Now I'm leaning towards the Octopus, lol. So I take it you would not recommend an ASM? The ASM seems like a PITA, on top of all the modding for an almost $300 skimmer. The Octopus is a recirculating skimmer already, and it seems they usually get pretty good reviews, although I can't seem to find a review on that particular one. I definitely do not need a skimmer that will flood because I have the tank the my upstairs of my house.

Like I said I'm kind of stuck trading for one of those cause the SWC is to big for my sump, and am having no luck selling it locally. It's still in the original box, so it would cost a fortune to ship.

Thanks

taklein65

I would NOT recommend the ASM to anyone just from my experience for 1.5-2 years it was a constance headache. The octopus I think would be a much better skimmer than the ASM. Is there no way to get the SWC to work in your sump maybe remove a baffle or something or a different sump? if you haven't you might want to do some reading in the skimmer club forums on a few sites for the Octo's and others.

atcaw94

I would NOT recommend the ASM to anyone just from my experience for 1.5-2 years it was a constance headache. The octopus I think would be a much better skimmer than the ASM. Is there no way to get the SWC to work in your sump maybe remove a baffle or something or a different sump? if you haven't you might want to do some reading in the skimmer club forums on a few sites for the Octo's and others.

The ASM is just to long to get in my sump, the footprint is like 8X15 and the sump is only 11 or so deep. I had thought about cutting part of the base plate off, but don't really want to hack up the skimmer. Worse case scenario, I may be able to put it outside the sump, but really wanted it in sump. I've looked for reviews on that particular Octopus and can't find much, it just seems overall people are happy with the Octopus for the money.
Thanks for all your help so far.