Ocellaris Clownfish breeding - Wish me luck!

sandyc

I called Reed's today to find out how to lower the pH of my water to match the water the rotifers came in. Basically, they told me to go the LFS and buy something to lower the pH off the shelf. I have matched the pH of both waters and will transfer the rotifers to the bucket as soon as they reach room temperature. I kept them in the fridge overnight until I could figure out what to do.

Last edited:

rmlevasseur

Very cool! Tell us about your pair. Did you buy them as a pair? Or did they just hook up on their own? How long have you had them? Is there a nem in there?

sandyc

2008080624hours002.jpg

At 24 hours old. Not much change.
2008080748hours004.jpg

At 48 hours old there is some darkening of color. Dad is soing a good job of watching over the kids.

sandyc

Very cool! Tell us about your pair. Did you buy them as a pair? Or did they just hook up on their own? How long have you had them? Is there a nem in there?

I bought them as a pair from someone who was taking down their tank. He told me they were a mated pair but when I got them they didn't lay eggs for quite a while. They may have just needed time to settle in. A better quality food might have helped too. I have had them 3 or 4 years now. I am not sure how old they were when I got them.

sandyc

I was wondering the same. are they hosting anything?

They hang out in my Xenia. I don't have an anemone. I have heard too many stories of them not doing well and I don't want to kill anything. Mom and Dad are very happy in the Xenia. You can see a little of it on the left hand side of the pictures.

sandyc

This picture shows their home. It’s a little bare because I recently upgraded from an 18 gallon to a 29 gallon tank. Surprisingly, the move only put their spawn off by 3 days. As you can see, the tank is next to a west window. I do let the sun hit the tank for about an hour or two each day. The soft coral love this.
20080805fishPClights019.jpg

Here is a close up of their “corner”.
20080805fishPClights042.jpg

beast1961

This picture shows their home. It’s a little bare because I recently upgraded from an 18 gallon to a 29 gallon tank. Surprisingly, the move only put their spawn off by 3 days. As you can see, the tank is next to a west window. I do let the sun hit the tank for about an hour or two each day. The soft coral love this.
20080805fishPClights019.jpg

Here is a close up of their “corner”.
20080805fishPClights042.jpg

Do they ever lay on the front side of the tile?? Also, Are they ceramic tile?
Rick

sandyc

Yes, they do lay eggs on the tile. This is the first time. I have never used tile before because I have never tried to grow the larvae. I just put the tile in the area where they usually put their eggs. It is a 4x4 inch tile from Menards. The shiney side is to the back. The unfinished side is where they put their eggs.:fishy2:

sandyc

Isnt that what you use to breed freshwater angels and Discuss?

I have never raised discuss. I did raise angels many years ago. I remember using black slate for them. I bet tile would work though. Probably a lot less expensive to! The tile cost $0.29.:swmfish:

sandyc

20080810day5002.jpg

Here is a picture of the kids at 5 days. The eyes can be clearly seen. I have been getting everything ready to :welcomera the new kids. I expect them to hatch Wed or Thurs. I went out tonight and bought a plastic shelfing unit to put the ever growing pile of "stuff" on. From the looks of things in my kitchen you would think I was expecting a baby!