Ocellaris Clownfish breeding - Wish me luck!

sandyc

They look awesome Sandy!! :dance:

Thanks! To celebrate the babies 3 week hatchday, I ordered a biocube. :yup: I figure, now that I got them to live (finally), I want to keep two of them for sentimental reasons. I have plenty of LR and softies to get the tank a good start. Actually, my 29 gallon is getting overrun with softies and could use a little thinning. I have massive amounts of Xenia and enough Kenya trees to start a forest! I will set up the cube and give it a couple of months before adding the babies. I need to give them enough time to grow so they will not get sucked into the return. Hmmm.....maybe I can fashion some sort of net on the overflow returns. If anyone has done this before or has ideas please chime in here.

Last edited:

sandyc

I ground a formula two flake this morning with a mortar and pestle for the babies. They love it. I am so relieved to get them to try and accept different foods. A variety has to be healthier than a single food. They are 24 days old now.

sandyc

Seamunky - The new batch should hatch around the 10th or 11th. The first babies will be one month old by then.

Nate - I think a 24 is fine. My pair live in a 29 and rarely use more than 10 inches of space. They do not travel far from their Xenia and tile. I would estimate that they use only 1/3 of the tank.

SeaMunky

Hey Nate, I had a pir in a 24 pod for a long time..as far as I know its ok, as long as they're isnt much more for fish in it..
But maybe someone else will chime in here...they may no better :rainbow:

sandyc

Nate, are you thinking about getting another clown? They are awesome fish. Don't you have a 55 gallon? Or are you thinking of adding a new tank?

right now my 55 is 150 miles away from me and my dad keeps the tank up. i come home on the weekends and do the rest. now i want a tank where i'm living so i'm getting a 24 aquapod.

sandyc

Nate,
Ohhhh, I understand comletely. I just ordered a biocube to set up in my office at work. I am going to keep a pair of my babies in it. Good luck with your aquapod. Be sure to post some pictures for us to admire.

sandyc

I upgraded the babies home a bit today. They have been in a 10 gallon tank with 3-4 gallons of water, a heater and air stone since they hatched. I have done partial water changes while siphoning the bottom of the tank daily since they hatched. Now that a new batch is on the way, I decided to streamline the work involved with this batch.

Soooo..... Today I raised the level of water to 10 gallons and added a hang on the back filter with floss and carbon. Boy, did that get the water moving. I have the filter positioned on the far end of the tank so the babies could be in calm water. I was a little worried at first with the increase in flow but I worried for nothing. Half of the babies went for the flow. It almost seemed like they were "playing" in it. I also added some plastic plants as they are starting to get a bit territorial.

I picked up an automatic feeder as I have to be away from home for two days. I had to modify it a bit because it dispensed way too much food even at the lowest setting. I put some plastic over most of the food "scooper" so only a tiny bit of Otohime is delivered. It feeds 2 times per day. Normally, I feed 4 times a day but it should be fine for 2 days.

Hopefully, this will cut down on the attention they need so I can get ready for the new batch.:bouncer:

Last edited:

SeaMunky

Wow that sounds great Sandy...
I have never used an auto feeder, but I think I will eventually get one, so that I have during the holidays while we are away...
My clowns will not eat any flakes now that they have taken a liking to frozen brine...any advice on what else I could try?...cuz I dont think brine alone is very nutritious...

sandyc

Wow that sounds great Sandy...
I have never used an auto feeder, but I think I will eventually get one, so that I have during the holidays while we are away...
My clowns will not eat any flakes now that they have taken a liking to frozen brine...any advice on what else I could try?...cuz I dont think brine alone is very nutritious...

I feed mine Rods food, frozen mysis, formula II flakes and pellets (Otohime). I dont know if Rods food is availble in Canada yet. If not, it is similiar to the Mush that Woodstock makes. She has a thread on how to make it; here is a link http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/diy/28178-how-make-homemade-mush.html. Mysis has more nutrition than brine; I bet your fish will accept them. As for the Otohime pellets well........I ordered the starter pack of Otohime for the babies. I recieved 6 or 7 sizes of Otohime. The largest two sizes are being fed to my clowns and my husbands assortment of fish.

The fish feeder works great! You may want to pick one up next time you are out so you have time to make adjustments. The one I bought dispenses A LOT of food.

Hope it helps.

Last edited: