Nuisance Algae

ohadfr2

Hi,

I'm new here :) ,

I have a RSM130D that is running for 4-5 months now,

I've replaced the original skimmer about a month ago and working with Tunze9002,

I've added 3000L/H wave pump in addition to the original redsea pumps,

I'm using tap water and currently have 3 small fishes, few turbo snails and fire+boxer shrimps,

Nitrate = 0.75
Phosphate = 0.08

I have a lot of hairy green/brown algae, the rocks are totally full with it,

I've started to use Red Sea NO3: PO4-X about 3 weeks ago but still haven't seen improvement in the algae situation,

I'll be happy to hear your ideas,

Thanks,
Ohad.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Hi Ohad,
I think using tap water is the source of your problem. Depending on where it is coming from, it can have a host of nasties in it that will fuel the algae growth.

I would try to get your hands on filtered water.... RODI preferably but just RO water is better than tap.

DaveK

I've posted this before. It's a general guide to algae control,

DaveK's Standard Lecture #2 - Algae Control

Algae control comes down to controlling nitrates and phosphates. If you have a problem with algae it is because these two nutrients are out of control. Do not think that just because your test kits read zero or low values that you do not have a problem. In many cases the algae is removing the nutrients and growing. This is why there is a problem.

Here are possible sources of nitrates and phosphates -

Feeding, especially flake food and not rinsing frozen foods before feeding.
Using tap water to mix salt. Always use RO/DI water for this.
"Dirt traps" and "nitrate factories" in the system.
Low quality carbon can leach nutrients.
Low quality salt can sometimes add nutrients. This is unusual today.
Livestock load on the system

Here are possible ways to remove nitrates and phosphates -

Water changes. Change 1/2 the water and you reduce the nutrients by 1/2.
Skimming. Remove the waste products before the biological filtration need to break then down.
Nitrate and phosphate removal products.
Deep sand beds.
Refugiums.
Algae Scrubbers.

Each of these has advantages and disadvantages. Most people that control algae well use many of the above methods.

There are also other items that can effect algae growth rates.

Good clean up crew.
Other livestock that eats algae.
Low general water quality, especially when the readings are off.
Lighting, sometimes you can reduce it, especially in FO or FOWLR systems.
Old light bulbs. Colors change as they age and this can be a factor.
Water flow. More flow will often help keep algae down.
Manual removal. Very important, especially when there is a big problem.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

great advise from all above ^

ohadfr2

Thanks for the answers,

I've tried to avoid RO in this tank as in my previous tank I've always forgot it open when filling the buckets for water changes,

I'll start with 30% weekly water changes to RO, it's a small tank so it should be quite easy,

I'll upload pictures when I'll have something to show, currently it's quite embarrassing :)

StirCrayzy

We all had our share of uglies. Nothing to be ashamed of, just part of the process.
If leaving the water running is the worst of your concerns about RODI, get a simple water timer from your local hardware store, as a backup just in case you forget. Not many of us are exempt from that water issue either;).
I routinely forget but also have backup drains, and water alarms to assist at critical places.

Good luck with the battle, it can be won, and WELCOME TO RS !!!!!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
RO is a must I think these days.....too many problems can arise if your water source is "unknown". There are lots of ways to prevent RO overflows......you could fill in a sink, get a faster unit (this way a 5 gallon bucket fills quicker) etc etc.

A good, clean water change does wonders for a tank.

Good luck!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hello Ohad :wave:
:rbwwelc:WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary! :crowd:
Read the post from DaveK at least 3 times, take it to :heart:.
Can't add much more than that for great advice.

IMO, using unfiltered tap water will lead to disaster. As water evaporates it leaves the bad stuff in your tank, if you top off with more tap water....Your concentration of the bad stuff continuosly increases. :confused:

I have flooded 3 rooms in my house by forgetting to turn off my RO-Di untit.
I now have it located in a spare bathtub. Good thing because I still forget & leave it running for an extra hour sometimes :hammerhead:
I need to install a floating shut-off valve also. My "to do list" is long! ;)

Hope you get great changes made & that Your algae stays in control!!
Update us with your progress :thumbup:

Pat24601

I run my RODI in a large utility room sink and fill up 5 gallon jugs at a time. It's more of a pain than filling a trash can, I guess, but it's not that bad and it never spills except for in the sink.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I run my RODI in a large utility room sink and fill up 5 gallon jugs at a time. It's more of a pain than filling a trash can, I guess, but it's not that bad and it never spills except for in the sink.
I draw up WC water 5 gal buckets also Pat. It's my way of measuring in and out for water changes. When you have a sump level and a tank level & remove water from each, it's the only way I have found that consistantly works.
Got my WC water brewing now: WC day for me! ;)