NUBIE needs some guidance!

bjasontoups

Tank started July 17 2011.

I HAD NO CLUE WHAT I WAS DOING!!!!!!

LFS set up RSM 250 with rock, sand, saltwater and RO water. No extra parts, just stock. No chiller.

July to Nov. - Let tank cycle, added CUC, small stuff here and there . . . some died and some lived.

LFS guy maintains tank for me and all I do is add RO water, clean protein skimmer and clean filters. I feed them brine shrimp and some flakes once daily. Cap full of PhytoChrom twice a week.

Never seen LFS check water, add chemicals. All they do is water changes, clean filters and change out carbon once a month. They tell me when and what I can buy for the tank that will survive.

October 2011 –LFS guy added from and exsisting tank 20 lbs of rock with LPS, SPS on it and some Large Blue ridge coral all at one time.

Next day- TANK CRASH – all inverts died, no fish death. SPS and LPS shrunk but some came back. LFS did water change, copper filter??, and the tank slowly rebound.

So as of Nov. 2011 I used Mardel 5 in 1 and Ammonia test strips weekly and add 30 ml a week(1 oz) B-ionic Ca buffer system parts A and B. RO water to top it off tank.

I then joined RS. . .realized I needed some education!:eek:

I keep all parameters in the ideal range and temp 80 F with the tools I have. I Could NOT fix any problems if one came up. I know I have to do more water changes, mix my own salt water, test other elements in the water.

I want to know the ESSENTIAL tools a NUBIE should have. . . . BOOKS? ? ? MANTAINANCE SCHEDULE? ? ? ? WATER TESTING EQUIPMENT? ? ? ETC.

Thanks for any help. . .The RSM owners Club and RS community is very helpful to get me to this point.

J

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hello.. welcome...
U NEED
Full range water test kit.. ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,calcium,alk,phosphates..
A refractometer....a hydrometer will work,,,kindof
A trustworthy thermometer.
Salt.
A bucket...lol.

If you want to start doing all of your own maintenance you will want,, eventually
Your own r/o unit. Or if your feeling froggy go rodi

I do 20% weekly and test right before the change... I text for nitrates phosphates and calcium regularly. I text everything if I see a problem..

Sent from my BatPhone using Tapatalk

Built347

Sorry to hear about your crash....
Your welcome to ask away!
No such thing as a stupid question.. we were all new at this at some point.. 90% of my knowledge of saltwater came from THIS forum and it's 9jazillion years of collective member experience.. that's right ...jazillion... :D. good luck!

Sent from my BatPhone using Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Interesting start...

You can maintain your tank & have great success & joining RS & the RSM Club will help you a ton ! Lots of members start their sw journey with a RSM swt.

Let me ask you a question, do you want to mix your own sw or still buy it from lfs? This is really a convenience $$$ if you believe they have quality water (change their ro/di filters) vs you doing it.

If you want to get an rodi unit & a bucket of salt, you can do this & we can tell you how & make some good recommendations...

reefer gladness

Major bummer about your tank crashing but you get props for getting back on the horse and taking the reigns in your own hands. We're all in school here so take a seat and prepare to submit some pics 'cause we love pics around here.

Your tank was cycled but this is a good read to help understand what's going on in our tanks. Nitrogen Cycle
This and a lot of other good stuff is over in the newbie FAQ sticky: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/just-starting-out-sw-beginners/33555-look-frequently-asked-questions.html

Two words in your post really caught my attention 'copper filter' - copper or any metal for that matter is an absolute no-no in any reef tank (don't ask me how I know :smack: ) Almost all invertabrates are very intolerant of copper but copper is used all the time in fish-only tanks because copper is a common treatment for ich. See where I'm going with this? Ask your LFS if they tested for copper, what they found and what they think contained copper. If it was live rock from a FOWLR tank you need to get it out as the copper will continue to leach out.

tnwillia

Sorry about your crash! Along with the above, find a new LFS and only trust their answers after you verify them here or thru your own research. I'm guessing they made a pretty penny "maintaining" your tank only to have it crash! Good luck with your rebuild!

bjasontoups

Full range water test kit.. ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,calcium,alk,phosphates..
A refractometer....a hydrometer will work,,,kindof
A trustworthy thermometer.
Salt.
A bucket...lol.

If you want to start doing all of your own maintenance you will want,, eventually
Your own r/o unit.
Thanks Devon, really enjoyed your threads and nice tanks and builds. I really enjoy your comments.
Sorry I forgot some things I have allready.
I have Thermometer, Hydrometer.
I have the Mardel 5 in 1 test strips? Will this work for pH,?
I have the Mardel Ammonia test kit
Will order the "Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Reef Master Liquid Test Kit" for the Ca, Phosphate, and nitrates, nitrites also.
found " Portable Refractometer" for about $49

I have a RO unit from LFS guy and I set it up. Added new carbon filter but do not know when to change filters. I have not tested water but the LFS guy did? been adding water to the tank. alot evaporates off the RSM. I'm sure I will learn about that ro unit too?!

Let me ask you a question, do you want to mix your own sw or still buy it from lfs? This is really a convenience $$$ if you believe they have quality water (change their ro/di filters) vs you doing it.

If you want to get an rodi unit & a bucket of salt, you can do this & we can tell you how & make some good recommendations...
Thanks Glen, Yes I want to do everything myself. I will figure out what type RO unit i have and post specs.
and buy Salt

Major bummer about your tank crashing but you get props for getting back on the horse and taking the reigns in your own hands. We're all in school here so take a seat and prepare to submit some pics 'cause we love pics around here.

Two words in your post really caught my attention 'copper filter' - copper or any metal for that matter is an absolute no-no in any reef tank (don't ask me how I know :smack: )
Thanks Sean, I started a Tank thread with pictures and the link is on my signature.

The lfs guy just put the filter in the tank. . .never tested, tatsted or did anything much less check high COPPER?:verymad:
Thats when I started this learning process

Just checked out the FAQ links. . .THANKS. . .got good leads on test equipment.

Sorry about your crash! Along with the above, find a new LFS and only trust their answers after you verify them here or thru your own research. I'm guessing they made a pretty penny "maintaining" your tank only to have it crash! Good luck with your rebuild!
Thanks Tom
Have no other lfs besides PETCO. will do all purchases online. Going to buy some of jj frags when i get the chemistry right.

dmatt88

I've found the test strips to b inaccurate. I use the ati tests and they seem reliable. Ur doing the right thing by asking questions. Well done.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

bjasontoups

Thanks Matt,

I figured I need to man up about the test strips. I'm hard headed and stuborn when it comes to spending money. But I know it will save more money in the long run!

Reading some of the threads on RSM owners is better than TV the way ya'll go at each other. Devon, Jason, and You and a few others really make it funny.

Keep it up

dmatt88

Thanks buddy. We've got a lively group here some days :eek:

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

bjasontoups

BRS has many videos posted that will take you thru all types equipment and maintenance. Tony Vargas just put out a great book with lots info. You will get all the help you want here, we are all learning. Have fun!

Bulk Aquarium Supplies - Reef Aquarium Supplies | BulkReefSupply.com

Amazon.com: The Coral Reef Aquarium: From Inception to Completion (Oceonographic Series) (9781883693305): Tony Vargas, Julian Sprung: Books

I was just about to post that I purchased test kits and refractometer just a few seconds ago. . .Thanks for link

Will pick up salt locally to avoid shipping charges.

Need to do some reading about RO unit. . .it is not a RO/DI.

bjasontoups

New problem popped up today for my RSM 250. . .cooling fans went out. . .not for lights. . .back left of tank. Checked fuse it was out changed it out and fan will not come one. . ..Tank is about 83 F lights on and 81 lights off. going to call RS and get a new one.

Got all testing equipment in and tested today
Salinity 1.023
trate 0
trite 0
ALK 179ppm
pH 8
Ammonia .25
Ca 400ppm
Phosphate 0

Salt is coming from the LFS and will start weekly water changes

will not add DI unit to my RO unit until I see any difference in water testing. i did find a DI unit to add to the existing ro unit.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Sorry to hear your rear cooling fan went out, Red Sea should send you out another one right away for free, being the tank is less than 1 year old.

In the USA - call Amanda

U.S.A. Office: Red Sea 18125 Ammi Trail Houston, Texas 77060

Tel: (281) 447-0205 Fax: (281) 447-1153

Toll Free: 1-888-RedSea9

bjasontoups

Thanks Glen. Is there a thread that would have suggested chemistry ranges for the RSM 250? Also you suggested a formula for salt and ro water for water changes?

Thank again for your help.