Nova Extreme Pro

Phreek

Anyone using em?Results? Keeping SPS,LPS,Clams with them?and do you feel 3.25w per gallon of T5HO is even enough to keep SPS and clams?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The PRO is a good fixture but I think you can get a little more bang for your buck else where :)

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Watts per gallon doesn't really work any more. Really not applicable to T5HO.

I too think there are better fixtures out there. And don't underestimate the power of 6 T5s - I have a hard time growing coralline under my Tek, and can not keep shooms at all - too bright

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've noticed expecially when someone upgrades TO a light like the N-E Pro that they have an initial massive die-off of Coraline algae but within a few months it slowly comes back.. sometimes a slightly different color though...

I'm not saying the N-E Pro is bad... I've just discovered recently there are slightly better fixtures available for around the same $$$.... I'm still a FAN of the N-E Pro though :)

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
When I upgraded to my TEK 6x39w light on my community tank, I lost all my coralline and triggered an algae succession cycle. Was most displeased.

The coralline never really came back - the lights were too bright for it to thrive. I got tons of coralline growth in my refugium, but not in the DT so I am pretty certain its lighting. People underestimate how much PAR a six bulb system produces. I setup my BTA tank with a 4 bulb system, and the nem is doing just great.

For a little more money, I should have gone with the Aquactinics TX5 in hindsight (for the community tank). I am very pleased with my Aquatic Life fixture on my BTA tank - much better built than Nova fixtures. This is a good time for the hobby - some good choices in equipment around us

Reefcraze_1

tek light? Check out the tank by redspot 321, it's a 4 bulb tek light and he's keeping crocea clams on the bottom of his tank!

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
is it ok to switch out the actinic bulbs for regular daylight bulbs?

Absoluetly. Replace the bulbs anyway you like. Actinics do not produce a lot of PAR actually. A little goes a long way. I don't run any actinics in my 4 bulb setup, but have 3 bulbs with blue spectrum that do produce some actinic wavelengths

Phreek

i was thinking replacing3 of the 4 actinics with daylight bulbs.so it will be 7 daylight bulbs and 1 actinic

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I'm not sure that is the best way to go. The ATI Blue + produces the most PAR of any T5 bulb. If I had 8 bulbs, I would probably go 1 actinic, 3 or 4 Blue +, 1 KZ Fiji Purple, and 2 or 3 GE 6500 daylight. Colors would absolutely pop.

Could substitute UVL 72/25 or ATI Pro Color for the Fiji Purple depending on if you want to bring out the reds or purples in the tank.

The Blue + is the best bulb out there though. Not at all intuitive, but it produces more light than daylight bulbs.