Not ready to start new thread but help wanted with reef scape and putty or other idea

TwiceIrish

For those that don't know me, I have a Red Sea Max 130D that I'm starting to reanimate after about a year away. I had a wonderful first part of cycle with beautiful live rock and new sand, etc. Then I came downstairs one late night to see a giant bristle worm and that did it! Not going to have these huge predators in my tank again! The small ones last time were fine but we accidentally brought in several huge ones in a beautiful rock and they killed every cleaner had and crawled over coral etc.

So this time when I saw this huge bristle guy, I pulled all the live rock that had just finished a beautiful strong first stage of the cycle with now zero ammonia and nitrates running about 20 after one water change! Left the rock to dry and my 15 year old son collected 8 huge worms about 5 days later! They crawl out to die!

Ordered dry Pukani from BRS and it is fantastic! Have a super rock scape for corals put together dry but not sure if I can really do in again inside the tank. Any sane ideas about how to "putty" or something outside and transfer it in? Please explain brands or where to obtain any products at Lowes or Home Depot if mentioned in your post. I have a dear husband who really is a dear and can built nearly anything with hand tools, wood, etc. but cannot weld. Thanks for any help. Looking forward to starting a tank thread this weekend!
Patti

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Re: Not ready to start new thread but help wanted with reef scape and putty or other

Hi Patti - good luck on the re-build !

If you really want to bond it... this is great stuff

E-Marco-400 10Lb Kit

Congrats on the new Pukani dry rock !

TwiceIrish

Re: Not ready to start new thread but help wanted with reef scape and putty or other

Thanks Glenn. Tried it just free hand and it's a mess. Looks awful. I'm thinking the problem might just be too many choices. I have my 4 medium size pieces of live rock which has been dry for a week and in the dark. And then I have the 50 lbs pukani dry and 5 lbs of cool shelf in just 2 big pieces. I may order this putty stuff you gave me the link to here. Cheers!

tnwillia

Welcome back, best wishes on your rebuild!

black2012

For those that don't know me, I have a Red Sea Max 130D that I'm starting to reanimate after about a year away. I had a wonderful first part of cycle with beautiful live rock and new sand, etc. Then I came downstairs one late night to see a giant bristle worm and that did it! Not going to have these huge predators in my tank again! The small ones last time were fine but we accidentally brought in several huge ones in a beautiful rock and they killed every cleaner had and crawled over coral etc.

So this time when I saw this huge bristle guy, I pulled all the live rock that had just finished a beautiful strong first stage of the cycle with now zero ammonia and nitrates running about 20 after one water change! Left the rock to dry and my 15 year old son collected 8 huge worms about 5 days later! They crawl out to die!

Ordered dry Pukani from BRS and it is fantastic! Have a super rock scape for corals put together dry but not sure if I can really do in again inside the tank. Any sane ideas about how to "putty" or something outside and transfer it in? Please explain brands or where to obtain any products at Lowes or Home Depot if mentioned in your post. I have a dear husband who really is a dear and can built nearly anything with hand tools, wood, etc. but cannot weld. Thanks for any help. Looking forward to starting a tank thread this weekend!
Patti

Ugh, gives me chills. I had the same problem with my live rock. The worms destroyed my tank. Now I always recommend dry rock + nitrifying bacteria. Thats what I did for my rebuild and 1 month later my tank is thriving with 2 clowns, a 6 line, and a handful of corals. Good luck to you!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Patti you are very welcome ! I actually bought it & then never used it (traded it for a frag at lfs) I just ended up redoing my rock over & over until I liked it while my tank cycled. After a year & once corals grow out, it will look at lot different so not as to worry, placed to mount frags is good to think about & I like caves for the fish to enjoy. Good Luck !

carlfike

I've used waterweld. You can find it in the paint department at home depot. kind of expensive but it works like a charm for just securing things in place. Also cures underwater.