Noob just bought Max 250

cdeeds

Hey guys. I'm new to the hobby but have been doing a lot of homework and spoke with some guys at my LFS. I just ordered a 250 and I know it comes with the essentials to get the tank up and running. I'm planning on getting live rock and eventually adding some corals once the tank is here and built. Before all of that though, I just wanted to ask fellow 250 owners what other things should I buy before setting everything up?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Congrats on your new 65 gallon RSM 250 , start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

I have run a stock RSM 250 for over 3 years now with great success, but in the RSM Club here on RS you will see mods to everything, I suggest you run it stock for 3 months and get to know it, before adding anything.

Other than the RSM AIO (all-in-one) tank, I would suggest get a good refractometer and a test kit like API to get you through your cycle.

See what others think...

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi cdeeds :wave:
:rbwwelc:WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :dolphin:
I think you will like your decision, getting the RMS 250.
Joining in here at Reef Sanctuary will help You also :)
You will need a good source of WATER (RO-Di water) and some good grain size bags of sand and the LiveRock (or dry/live combo) to build your RockScape.
Best thing to do is set up a reef thread & let us help you each step of the way.
That's exactly what I did & 2 years later:
I HAVE A BEAUTIFUL HEALTHY REEF TANK!! :yeehoo:
Very BEST WISHES....:cruiser:

Panman

This site was just recommended to me by the customer service folks at Red Sea. I asked them for a recommended UV sterizer which they responded they do not offer. They suggested I asked this forum who might have ides

Panman

This site was just recommended to me by the customer service folks at Red Sea. I asked them for a recommended UV sterizer which they responded they do not offer. They suggested I asked this forum who might have ides
I would welcome any ideas someone may have

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Panman,

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

on the UV... here is a great read
http://reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-uv-for-u-and-me.45307/

after reading the above... if you still want one, I would suggest an expensive one 300-400 dollars
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/protein-skimmers/uv-sterilizers.html and get your flow "right"

hope this helps...

pablomay28

I used to run a uv in my RSM 250 and saw no benefit to it. I honestly think it is a waste. I have a few mods in mine. I recommend as stated by another member to run it stock for a few months. I belive there are 2 things you definately need. #1 an automatic top off tunze osmolator nano works perfect and is about $100. These systems can loose about 1/2 a gallon a day to evaporation. The automatic top off (ato) will keep salinity level as well as keep your skimmer workin flawless once you dial it in. #2 A chiller these systems run hot. Depending how cool your room is you might need the chiller. I recommend you monitor your temps when the lights are on during the tanks cycle. When and if you do need a chiller post and we will be here to help. Love my RSM 250

Last edited:

cdeeds

Thanks for all of the help as well as the welcomes! I'll go ahead and run it stock as suggested and see how that works. The big question I have now is the RO/DI water. I live in a house that I'm renting so drilling holes in the walls and running new plumbing all over the place isn't going to happen. With that being said what's an alternative solution (if there is one) to mixing my own saltwater without having to go to the LFS every 5 secs?

Also once I get the tank in I'll start taking pics and documenting it all because I'm pretty positive I'll be asking a lot of questions. Thanks again everyone.

cdeeds

Thanks nano for the advice about the valve. I went ahead and ordered a 4 stage RO/DI system from BulkReefSupply as well as the tunze nano topoff. Everything, including the tank, should be here on Wednesday so I'm really looking forward to setting it all up and showing everyone how it all turns out.

I gotta say, so far joining this community has been the best thing I've done aside from buying the tank. Lot's of advice and inspiration from everyone. Thanks guys!

Pat24601

I'm late to the game, but absolutely the only thing I'd recommend buying for the C-250 is an ATO, which it sounds like you've done. Anything else is just boys (or girls) playing with toys. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Some of the toys really do help and are pretty darn cool. They just aren't "needed" and you can wait to decide if you want them or not,

The system is well set up to run stock.

I did also add a wavemaker to mine and I suspect you will too at some point, but I don't think I needed to strictly speaking and you can decide that later. Everything else I run stock.

Many of us do run 2xChemi Pure Elite and one Purigen in the media rack.

Last edited:

Pat24601

Oh, let me amend my above post a bit. It's possible you'll need a chiller. I've never needed one with my C-250, so I'm inclined to think the heat issue was worse with the prior model where it seemed like a chiller was requirement. But, maybe I just keep my room temp lower than others. :)

I'd just check your temps while you are cycling and see if you need one or not.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great investment in the ro/di from BRS

I gotta say, so far joining this community has been the best thing I've done aside from buying the tank. Lot's of advice and inspiration from everyone. Thanks guys!

Cheers !!! Glad you have make RS home !!!

Marvilis

I agree with all the above comments,
Must haves
1 - Chiller
2 - Tunze ATO
3 - RODI Unit + a TDS Meter

Nice to have (and you will probably end up getting)
1 - Wave maker / Pump ( I use a Vortech MP10 )
2 - a good LED moon light to enjoy the tank when the sun comes down :)

Pat24601

I agree with all the above comments,
Must haves
1 - Chiller
2 - Tunze ATO
3 - RODI Unit + a TDS Meter

Nice to have (and you will probably end up getting)
1 - Wave maker / Pump ( I use a Vortech MP10 )
2 - a good LED moon light to enjoy the tank when the sun comes down :)

What moonlight do you use? I'm in the market... :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If interested... here is a very good read on temps - I have never run a chiller, tank temp 81F we do keep our home at 73F and the rear cooling fans running 24x7 , so I don't consider them a must, unless your temps get well above this... all my corals and fish have thrived

http://www.ronshimek.com/salinity_temperature.html

Ron Shimek article ^ about the average ocean coral reef temperature being between 82-84

For example, if a given coral species has a temperature optimum of 84 ° F, but can tolerate temperatures from 75 ° F to 93 ° F, that species will spread through out the contiguous environment to occupy all survivable habitats within that temperature range

cdeeds

Many of us do run 2xChemi Pure Elite and one Purigen in the media rack.

I ordered a few of each just to have some extra on hand when they need changed. Dumb question but does it matter the order they go into the media rack? Also should I put them in when I first set the tank up or wait until after the initial cycle?