No sick fish ick medicine

cb747

Hi All i know this is my first post but i want to share my experience with this product so i can warn fellow hobbiests not to waste there money on it. IMO it doesnt work. It made matters much worse in my tank. Ive had a slight case of ick for about 2 months affecting 2 fish. I figured what the heck and ordered the No Sick Fish Ick treatment and started treating the tank as per the instructions. In 3 days every fish in my tank was covered in ick. I send an email to NSF and Tyler calls me on the phone. I think hey its good customer service. He proceeds to tell me that the product is indeed working and its supposed to hatch all the dormant ick in the tank and my infestation is so bad because its been lying dormant in the tank for atleast 2 months. I didnt know ick goes dormant. Anyway he suggests i up the dosage slightly and keep him informed. A few more days pass and a few more dead fish. 6 dead fish and counting now. I send a second email Sunday asking when the product is supposed to work. I get no reply. I send another crankier email today re asking the same question and also asking for a refund. I get a reply stating that he doesnt know how long it will take and im to continue treatment but he doesnt expect me to spend more money. No offer to ship another bottle of pee water. he also states that its effective only 85% of the time and i must be in the remaining 15% where this doesnt work. I didnt know there were multiple strains of ick. So in the end i have a tank full of ick infested fish. I have never in my life had an outbreak so bad. Do i attribute the explosive outbreak in such a short time to the medicine? Yes i do. I do feel that the medicine did cause the explosive outbreak so hey ill give it credit there. It has NOT however killed any ick that i can see. Im to continue medicating and spending more money on snake oil. IMO this product does not work. Atleast not for me. Its heartbreaking watching fish ive had for years succumb to this. I lost one of my prized fish too. The female of my mating hybrid clowns. That fish is irreplacable. So there you have it, my horrible experience. Copper is the only proven killer of ick. I also dont use a QT tank so in the end i only have myself to blame for getting ick in the first place. In that reguard i played with fire and got burned. I never would have needed NSF if i used a QT tank.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Well, thats a terrible tale and I do feel bad for you, some lessons are hard learned and painful, if there are any fish left get them out and let the tank run fallow for 2 months, start fresh and no need to deal with this again.Steve

lcstorc

So sorry to hear of your trouble. There is one other proven method to beat ick and it is hyposalinity. It is much less stressful than copper and does work. You do still need to treat in a hospital tank and leave the display fallow for 6 weeks to eliminate it but it safer than copper if done correctly.

billyr98

i went to a pet expo and these people were there. the company i went with was made to pay for a sample. and they never sent a sample... 2 strikes on them... i am not saying anything bad about the product, but they never sent anything for the money charged to the credit card... i was mad they charged for a sample and even more mad, they didn't send anything..

panmanmatt

i went to a pet expo and these people were there. the company i went with was made to pay for a sample. and they never sent a sample... 2 strikes on them... i am not saying anything bad about the product, but they never sent anything for the money charged to the credit card... i was mad they charged for a sample and even more mad, they didn't send anything..

If you are referring to the show in AC, they did that to a few folks there. I have been trying to get a free sample out of them for 3 years and all I get is broken promises. They wanted me to do some testing for them but wouldn't give me the product to do it with.

They are doing less and less hobbiest shows lately and are mainly going to the dealer shows. Guess they got tired of all the hobbiest asking why there stuff doesn't work.

DaveK

This is a very sad tale, and what's worse, it was preventable. Now I'm not trying to beat up on the new guy, but this is what should have been done.

I know I'm far from alone here when I offer this advice -

Never ever medicate a reef system. No matter what the LFS told you, no matter what the manufacturer says on the label or their web site, there are no reef safe medications period.

Always treat in a quarantine tank. It's not very expensive to go out and get yourself a modest 10 or 20 gal tank, and treat there.

For Billyr98 - Count your blessings. You only lost a little money not your reef. While that is still a pain, it's not that big a deal. At least you didn't treat your reef.

Additional comments -

While I don't think the medication directly caused the major outbreak, I do think the use of the medication was a major contributing factor. I suspect the med killed off a lot of the good guy bacteria and other life in the tank, and thus put a lot more stress on the fish. Remember, to a filter feeder ich is food.

blue_eyes53813

I am so sorry, What a terrible ordeal to have to go through, I agree that you should pull all fish out of the tank and let the main tank go without fish for (some say 6-8 weeks) at least 3 months. The ick will die off. If any fish survive I would soak all food in garlic and hook a UV sterilizer up to the tank with the fish in it. Make sure all fish are clear of ick before adding them back to the main tank or you will start it all over again. Once again I am so sorry for your trouble.

billyr98

This is a very sad tale, and what's worse, it was preventable. Now I'm not trying to beat up on the new guy, but this is what should have been done.

I know I'm far from alone here when I offer this advice -

Never ever medicate a reef system. No matter what the LFS told you, no matter what the manufacturer says on the label or their web site, there are no reef safe medications period.

Always treat in a quarantine tank. It's not very expensive to go out and get yourself a modest 10 or 20 gal tank, and treat there.

For Billyr98 - Count your blessings. You only lost a little money not your reef. While that is still a pain, it's not that big a deal. At least you didn't treat your reef.

Additional comments -

While I don't think the medication directly caused the major outbreak, I do think the use of the medication was a major contributing factor. I suspect the med killed off a lot of the good guy bacteria and other life in the tank, and thus put a lot more stress on the fish. Remember, to a filter feeder ich is food.
dave i would have never put a product in my reef...
i was going to do testing at a LFS for them to carry the product...
but they lose!! nothing ever will be a miracle cure..

Raf

So sorry to hear of your trouble. There is one other proven method to beat ick and it is hyposalinity. It is much less stressful than copper and does work. You do still need to treat in a hospital tank and leave the display fallow for 6 weeks to eliminate it but it safer than copper if done correctly.

By Hypo, how low do you go? Will it affect the liverock, the inverts like snails and hermits..more info please :)

DaveK

Hyposalinity is the gradual reduction of the SG of the treatment tank. Usually you reduce it from the usual 1.025 to 1.012, and maintain the low salinity for several weeks. Then slowly bring it back up.

This should not be in the main tank. hyposalinity can kill a lot of inverts and corals. Always treat in a quarantine tank.

lcstorc

Hyposalinity is the gradual reduction of the SG of the treatment tank. Usually you reduce it from the usual 1.025 to 1.012, and maintain the low salinity for several weeks. Then slowly bring it back up.

This should not be in the main tank. hyposalinity can kill a lot of inverts and corals. Always treat in a quarantine tank.

Exactly correct but you need to go even lower from what I understand. !.009 is the number I always read. Do not do this with inverts or even LR. Only the fish can handle it and you need to reduce it slowly. Lorraine (BlueSpotJawfish) just did this with her fish on Boomers instruction and had much better luck than with the copper.

burning2nd

that suxs sorry to hear that man... Ive never delt with ich (yet) knock on wood. But ive red some wild stuff about it..... what i remember right (i think) is that

in the wild ich doesnt kill... cause theress so much water volume that it use's the fish to bread then leaves the fish alone.... but i guess in captivitive it has no where to go and kills the host (unintentionaly) but i cant conferm or deny that...

i have a qt tank setup... thats kinda turning in to another tank....

i was thinking that i should clean it up a little this weekend.... ive bin lazy but since i dont plan on geting any new fish for my tanks till i build my new tank its not gonna matter i guess....

Im sorry for your loss's im sure you will be back at it soon enough

Warnberg

Hyposalinity treatment is the lowering of the salinity to match the fishes actual internal salinity (1.009), this should only be done with a refractometer to measure salinity (swing arm type are not accurate enough). Snails, shrimp, crabs, any invert or corals should never be treated with this treatment.

Here is a link to a post I did on ich and the treatments for ich some time ago.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/14478-ich-treatments.html

cb747

This has not been a good situation for me at all. Ive been reefkeeping for 10 + years and i know the proven methods. I figured with technology that maybe this product did what it claims. I did not do my research and its snake oil. Tyler didnt offer anything to correct my situation. He wanted me to pay yet more money for more snake oil. A true vendor would have sent out more product and chalked it up for public relations. There sponsorship on Reef Central is now being discussed ajnd they MAY be removed. I at one point told Tyler that i wanted a refund which ofcoarse he declined. I have numerous emails from him. He is also aware that im posting my experience to anyone who will listen. I know if i was him i wouldnt want all this bad publicity. My whole motive is to inform people who dont know so they dont waste money on this product and go with whats known to work, hypo and or copper.

burning2nd

LOl anther gets the kick ban from RC...... man

i love how they kick people they dont like.... LOL really starting to show how good they are.

No effence my man.... but thats kinda your fault not his.....

anyone who knows biz knows that if you dont sell what your trying to, your not gonna have a lot to eat on the table at the end of the day...

bad mouthing some dude because you didnt get the result from some product that claimed gold has nothing to do with him.

And on the Reef cenral thought. thats exsactly why i predict RC going down the drain.... you cant burn your bridges at every turn when something you dont like happens.....

its like all the other chimicals that are out there 2 use for this feild.... some work others dont.

good luck with that ich bud... Id start thinking about that QT tank now

cb747

Im not blaming my ick outbreak on him. Thats my fault. Im blaming the way it exploded and basically killed my tank by the famed medicine NOT doing what it claims to do. Let us not forget that Tyler said "its doing what it was designed to do". All he would do is say keep using it and send me more money and ill send you more piss water. I have been yet to see a thread from anyone claiming success with the product. If i did then id just chalk it up to stuff happens. ive been in business before and if you really want to promote a product you do whatever is needed to make the customer happy. Its smart business practice to make a customer happy who will go tell 20 of his friends about how great the product is. Instead he chose to tell me sorry but i know my product will work, keep medicating and sorry but youll have to buy more. I know someone who treated for over a month with the same result i had.
You are 100% correct it is time i use a QT tank. Then this thread would have never happened and anything that did come down with ick could be treated with copper the proven method! In the end No sick Fish lived up to its name. All the fish died and i had No Sick Fish...............

lcstorc

Im not blaming my ick outbreak on him. Thats my fault. Im blaming the way it exploded and basically killed my tank by the famed medicine NOT doing what it claims to do. Let us not forget that Tyler said "its doing what it was designed to do". All he would do is say keep using it and send me more money and ill send you more piss water. I have been yet to see a thread from anyone claiming success with the product. If i did then id just chalk it up to stuff happens. ive been in business before and if you really want to promote a product you do whatever is needed to make the customer happy. Its smart business practice to make a customer happy who will go tell 20 of his friends about how great the product is. Instead he chose to tell me sorry but i know my product will work, keep medicating and sorry but youll have to buy more. I know someone who treated for over a month with the same result i had.
You are 100% correct it is time i use a QT tank. Then this thread would have never happened and anything that did come down with ick could be treated with copper the proven method! In the end No sick Fish lived up to its name. All the fish died and i had No Sick Fish...............
I've gotta agree with you on this one. If the product does not produce the results it claims then you should let others know. Perhaps in some cases it does work but I seriously doubt it. Also I suspect they know it. Sounds like they are trying to get as much money as they can out of you as quickly as possible since they know you will not be a repeat customer. Personally I much prefer to do business with companies that believe in customer service. A small investment now will gain them a customer for life not to mention the word of mouth business they would get.
The last point I want to make is that hyposalinity is just as effective and a lot less stressfull than copper as a treatment for ich. Stay away from the snake oil. It is just that. Hope you have better luck in the future.