No QT, but I want a new fish... Oh no, what to do???

Tigersref

the clown fish i have right was the first fish when i set up the tank 1.5 yrs ago.

Now that the tank has enough corals, i want to add maybe 1 or 2 fish but since i don't have a QT, I am very hesitant.

I don't know if i want to go through the trouble of setting up a QT, letting it cycle, then having to take it down when i am done (only want to add 1 or 2 fish, then that is IT)

what to do??

Snid

Go with a QT, regardless of how annoying it is. It is far less annoying than losing all of your fish to illness. Especially your Clown that has been hangin' with you for a while now. Treat him like the good buddy that he is. ;)

The QT doesn't have to cycle like your normal tank, you prepare it by setting a sponge for a sponge filter in your regular tank for a week or so. The sponge will absorb beneficial bacteria that you then use in your QT. Also, when doing a water change for your display tank, use that water in the QT. All you need in the QT is something for the fish to hide in, a filter, a heater, and something to circulate the water. You can even use Charcoal to help with keeping the water clean, but in the event of a disease the Charcoal needs to be removed for any form of medical dosing.

I used black PVC Pipes that I cut down for hiding places. They wanted to float, so I weighed them down with a safe rock and rubber bands wrapped around them.

reefle

Personal preference

I used to do a QT but it was more of a hassle than it was worth (to me). Especially when you might not have the space to set up and store a QT tank and supplies. It's all personal preference. Of course it is always the safest option.

but really as long as you can inspect the fish you want beforehand and/or get them from a reputable supplier then I don't think it would hurt.

but that's just me

reefer gladness

You already know what the correct answer is. Maybe you're just hoping for others to say it's okay to cut corners?

Is it more effort to do it right and setup the QT now? Or is it more convenient to lose all your fish and be forced to start over only after allowing your display tank to go fallow for 2 months?

You know the risks. Up to you to decide.

Snid

but really as long as you can inspect the fish you want beforehand and/or get them from a reputable supplier then I don't think it would hurt.

but that's just me

I'm glad you added that last tidbit about it just being you...

There are many diseases that don't reveal themselves upon first examinations as they take time to gestate. On top of that, many diseases are already in our fish, but their immune system is keeping it in check. The reason why so many new fish get sick and spread diseases isn't because they came to you sick, it is because they came to you severely stressed out. When a fish gets stressed, it's immune system drops and diseases that have been present for a long time can then take advantage of the weakened fish. So sometimes a new fish might not have a disease, but your old tank one does but has a healthy immune system keeping it in check, and then the newly stressed newbie catches it from your old tank fish and the disease runs rampant. It really doesn't matter where the fish comes from, though some locations may have better success rates, because the fish will be stressed regardless.

reefle

I'm glad you added that last tidbit about it just being you...

There are many diseases that don't reveal themselves upon first examinations as they take time to gestate. On top of that, many diseases are already in our fish, but their immune system is keeping it in check. The reason why so many new fish get sick and spread diseases isn't because they came to you sick, it is because they came to you severely stressed out. When a fish gets stressed, it's immune system drops and diseases that have been present for a long time can then take advantage of the weakened fish. So sometimes a new fish might not have a disease, but your old tank one does but has a healthy immune system keeping it in check, and then the newly stressed newbie catches it from your old tank fish and the disease runs rampant. It really doesn't matter where the fish comes from, though some locations may have better success rates, because the fish will be stressed regardless.

I agree. Like I mentioned. it is the safest and best option to set up a QT tank. I suppose I've been really lucky too. I just don't have room in my place to do another tank.

so if you have the space, I'd say do it too

DaveK

I don't know if i want to go through the trouble of setting up a QT, letting it cycle, then having to take it down when i am done ...
what to do??

Set up a quarantine tank.

Your putting your entire existing reef system at risk by not doing so. Now I know there are some people that don't bother with a quarantine tank. I would say that they have been very lucky if they have not had a major disease problem.

Some diseases can be particularly insidious. Marine velvet can wipe out an entire tank.

It's far better to loose something in a quarantine tank than create a problem in the main system.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
If you're not going to set up a QT, I'm with Mike go with Diver's Den. They have quality livestock that have already been quarantined to an extent. 80% of my fish have come from them and I've never gotten an ill fish. Again, I'm not advocating not setting up a QT.

Steve L

Obviously everybody here feels that a QT is the way to go, but since it sounds like you only have one fish, you may decide to take a chance and not quarantine them first. If you do I would strongly suggest doing a freshwater dip for a few minutes before introducing any new fish into your tank. You could also set up a hospital tank with only a couple gallons of water from your DT and treat the new fish with copper for a day or two. At least it will offer some protection, even if it's minimal.

Choff

I would wager there are more than a few people who tout qt and don't actually do it themselves. It's the internet, people lie. They portray themselves as better than they are.

I agree qt is considered best practice. One of these days I may actually do it. :)

Tigersref

ok, ok..... i get the hint :java:

So, I guess I have some research to do to educate me on the setup and use of a QT ( how long to keep fish in QT, etc). I do have a 10g tank in the basement somewhere, its time to go find it.

Snid

ok, ok..... i get the hint

Yay! Heheh... In all seriousness, none of the responses are directed at you personally, just reactions to what should or should not be done and who does it. ;)

Hey... Even LiveAquaria.com tells you to Quarantine everything on their website. If a store who is interested in selling things to you over and over suggests it, it must be a good option. Otherwise they would gladly let your fish die and sell you more. Just saying... ;)

Tigersref

Yay! Heheh... In all seriousness, none of the responses are directed at you personally, just reactions to what should or should not be done and who does it. ;)

Love you all and i know that as a collective voice, y'all won't steer me wrong. And that is why I am a member.

Clint24

I would QT as well. I used to be one of the lucky ones but it finally caught up to me. & bit me in the #**!!!! Now I do quarantine. Not sayin I like it much but it's way better than what I went through!! Good luck!!! :)

CD

3dees

I'll admit I did it. I tore down my qt because I was sure I was through with my fish list. last month I couldn't resist getting a 1 inch six line wrasse. I got if from a trusted lfs and the fish was in a shrimp tank with no other fish. I didn't want to set up the qt so I took a chance. so far everything is ok. I wouldn't suggest doing it, but in truth many people don't use a qt even if they won't admit it. it's probably a little safer if your not adding problematic fish like butterflies or tangs.