Nikon D40

seaweed88

Hello all. I am looking for a camera to take Pictures of my corals and my tank. I am also looking for one to use at my high school sons wrestling and such. I have found a used Nikon D40 and was wondering if this would fit the bill. If so what is a good price for one and what lens should I be looking for?
Thanks
Mark

framerguy

As long as you can still get the card for that camera it should be fine. Nikon is the best IMO. I use the D70 and love it. I have a nikon 60mm 2.8 lens and it takes fabulous photos. Get good glass. If you go with an aftermarket lens go with Tamron, otherwise get a Nikon lens and get one as fast as you can afford (2.8 preferable but the faster the lens the more it costs.) Look on Ebay. Just this morning I saw a used D90 with an 80-200mm 2.8 lens with a buy it now price of less than $500.

seaweed88

Thanks for the reply. I think I can get this one for around 300.00 with both lens. I am not sure what card you are talking about. Thanks again

Blurp

Hi seaweed88, framerguy is talking about the memory card. I've also been inspecting a D90, but here a new one will cost some 865...oh lucky you...

Oh, remember that macro lenses (ideal for coral close-ups) might cost you up to 1500€ (grrr maybe 2000$???)

Edison

Check Ebay for various camera/lens combos and then head over to Digital Camera Review and check reviews for lenses. Sadly Nikon does make some pretty crappy glass these days and you don't want poor glass on a good camera so read the reviews carefully before buying
a lens. Thom Hogan has a good review of the D40 and you can read it here

If you do end up buying a D40, I highly recommend getting Thom Hogan's D40 ebookComplete Nikon Guide to the D40 and D40x by Thom Hogan

Nikon manuals are rather spartan and not well written where as Thom's books are chock full of useful info about your camera and how to get the most out of it.