Shay

I'm just getting into saltwater and will slowly be getting all things for a larger tank, as I and my husband have read it is easier for creating reefs and less complications than a smaller tank. I would appreciate any advice on what I need and what worked best for anyone else.

Pat24601

Welcome Shay!

First thing to get a handle on is probably just what size you want. It's a hard decision, really, but also one where there really isn't a wrong answer. I'd probably go at least 30 gallons if you can, but that's always up to your budget and space.

cracker

Hello Shay, Pat has good advice. Also location is a something to consider. For instance, How far would You have to carry a bucket or more of water to get to a drain? What is Your flooring like? Carpet,tile maybe wood flooring? Stuff like that.

DaveK

I tend to disagree with the others. Do not choose the tank size until you figure out what you want to keep in the tank. Many fish and other livestock do much better in certain types of tanks. Many times a different shaped tank with the same amount of water might be a better choice.

If you want to keep a tang your going to need a large tank. If you want to keep seahorses, you are usually much better with a small tank. Tanks like a 55 gal tank are very difficult to aquascape nicely.

By choosing the livestock first, you'll get a good idea of what you can and can not do. Obviously if you choose livestock that requires a 250 gal tank, and that is beyond what you plan to do, you'll need to change the livestock selection and try again.

Pat24601

I tend to disagree with the others. Do not choose the tank size until you figure out what you want to keep in the tank. Many fish and other livestock do much better in certain types of tanks. Many times a different shaped tank with the same amount of water might be a better choice.

If you want to keep a tang your going to need a large tank. If you want to keep seahorses, you are usually much better with a small tank. Tanks like a 55 gal tank are very difficult to aquascape nicely.

By choosing the livestock first, you'll get a good idea of what you can and can not do. Obviously if you choose livestock that requires a 250 gal tank, and that is beyond what you plan to do, you'll need to change the livestock selection and try again.

I'm not sure this is disagreeing as I agree with this. It's a great point

SPR

Hi Shay
From my own experience I would say go as big as you can afford and fit in from the word go. I came into the hobby in February 2016 with a Red Sea E Max 260 and by June I had upgraded to the biggest Max S 650 which is from one extreme to the other!

I did this because firstly I loved and got hooked on the hobby, but as said above when you start looking to buy fish you find you are severely restricted in smaller tanks as to what you can have in them. Tangs, Triggers etc need big tanks and I found it very frustrating at the LFS when asked the size of my 260 and the frowns that followed!

Also I have definitely found that the bigger the tank the easier it is to monitor water parimeters etc which can swing a lot if you have less water and lots of fish.

It's up to you what tank style you like but the Red Sea tanks are stunning and pictures do not do them justice and you most definitely get what you pay for but they aren't cheap by any means but worth every penny.

DaveK

From my own experience I would say go as big as you can afford and fit in from the word go. ...

On this I would disagree. If someone is getting their first tank, they are often not sure if they want to be involved with the hobby long term. Also, someone new will make a lot of beginner mistakes, no matter how careful they are. First tanks are a learning experience.

It's a lot less expensive to go with a modest size tank for the first tank. It's also a lot loss of livestock and a lot less work to clean out if something really goes wrong.

Now when you get to that second or third tank, you'll know what you want and have the experience to make good equipment selections. At that point, go for that large tank you always dreamed about.

cracker

I have to agree with Dave on this one. My 1st serious tank, I jumped right into a 220 gl tank. I had no idea what I was getting myself into !

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Leandre

hello, i jumped into the deep end first. 220g also lol
a few beginner tips for you that i went through. location is just as important as what you're getting.
As a tannk filled with water will weigh a lot. so if you want it on the second floor its best to ask a contractor if the floor will hold the weight . As mention above convenience will be a factor for water changes. ideally you want find a wall on the first floor with no direct sunlight. If it is going to be in front of a window be sure to cover up well.

whether you're going for a reef of fowlr, a saltwater set up demands a lot of attention, good husbandry and a lot of research. Cost is another factor. in this hobby you get what you pay for. there are cheaper alternatives then the grade A items, but even then you are looking to shell out a pretty penny for a setup. join a local reef forum and check out the used section. more often then so you will good deals with people upgrading and such, you find yourself a whole setup for like $600

I'm a believer of getting as big as you can afford. setting up a fish tank isn't really an impulse thing, usually people lose that "impulse" when they start looking at cost. Its not something you can buy today and have it setup by the evening.

Youtube is gonna be your best friend, so many videos, explanations and how to's make the learning curve of this hobby survivable. i got so confused when i was learning (and still learning). if you get a smaller tank, theirs going to be a high chance you're going to want to upgrade pretty soon. then you have the headache of moving livestock selling old equipment that isnt big enough for the new tank etc etc. the absolute smallest i would go is a 40g. large enough to look good and give you some headway if things go south but small enough that the cost wont cripple you. with so many used tank around a 90g setup soon becomes somewhat affordable. if you havent already check out the BRS series 52 weeks of reefing. very educational and helped me alot.

As mentioned above, stock will likely dictate what size tank you start out with. with me, i like fish. So we opted for a large 220g. My son likes corals. so now i have a 220 going for a mix reef. aside from stock choices, when people say a larger tank is easier. Its because with a larger water volume you have more dilution when and if things go south. a fish dying that you didnt know about will effect a smaller 40g faster then a 200g. giving you more time to see and take action. this is the same for keeping water parameters. fluctuations arint nearly as steep with a larger tank. downside being, you need bigger equipment.

Being efficient in DIY will help you save a few dollars when it comes to things like stands, plumbing, lighting (i made hanging light box with 2x4 and a canoe harness to house a hybrid kessil/T5) and tank outfitting (i drilled my own holes and made my own overflow box)
i think the last and probably the best advice i can give is; don't be afraid to ask questions. no question is stupid or noobish.

Shay

I really just want to get into it for the coral, although I will eventually get a pair of fish, probably clownfish. Otherwise I think a coral tank is really my true objective as I would be happy without the fish.

Shay

Hi Shay
From my own experience I would say go as big as you can afford and fit in from the word go. I came into the hobby in February 2016 with a Red Sea E Max 260 and by June I had upgraded to the biggest Max S 650 which is from one extreme to the other!

I did this because firstly I loved and got hooked on the hobby, but as said above when you start looking to buy fish you find you are severely restricted in smaller tanks as to what you can have in them. Tangs, Triggers etc need big tanks and I found it very frustrating at the LFS when asked the size of my 260 and the frowns that followed!

Also I have definitely found that the bigger the tank the easier it is to monitor water parimeters etc which can swing a lot if you have less water and lots of fish.

It's up to you what tank style you like but the Red Sea tanks are stunning and pictures do not do them justice and you most definitely get what you pay for but they aren't cheap by any means but worth every penny.
I was thinking of the Red Sea Max C 250!

SPR

I was thinking of the Red Sea Max C 250!

Well that's a nice size if you don't want to many fish - I only went bigger so I could have more corals and more/bigger fish and also got completely hooked! I learned a lot when I started with the E 260, made some mistakes...

Also check the style you want - the C is believe is closed top and the E is open which I like and also has the LED's lighting etc. I think the open top is more modern but I suppose it's personal choice.