Newbie tank quetion

Nitesky

Hi all! New to saltwater fish keeping, actually new to fish keeping overall.
I recently our purchased a RSM 250 and have a few questions.

My phosphate level is 0.25ppm. I have clownfish and corals, polyps and anemone in the tank. Should the ppm level be 0ppm? I have read people with 1ppm phosphate in their tank. Is there a chemical I can add into the water to reduce phosphate? I know water change can reduce it, but would like to know if chemical products r available.

Furthermore I havevseen a blue slime like tentacle coming out from the live rock. It has a split fork on the end and slithers back behind the live rock when it sees light. Is this a worm or snail? Should I remove it?

Thanks in advance, there is so much to learn!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Here a good :read: Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

I run Chemipure elite (carbon and GFO) in place of the stock RSM carbon - helps reduce phosphate

Boyd Chemi Pure Elite

Would love to see some pics of your RSM 250

Uslanja

Hi Nitesky! Welcome to Reef Sanctuary!! Can you get a photo of the animal in question? That way folks will have a better idea what it might be. Phosphates are ideally zero. But that being said most of us have some type of trace that does not seem to be problematic. Water changes would be our favourite way to reduce a high level, or inversely, increase a low level, but we do believe there are chemical filtration pads that you would place in an area of water flow. We have never used them and so we hesitate to recommend them. We believe that water changes are most likely the safest way to reduce phosphates along with adjusting the feeding amount and/or feeding schedule. We really enjoy pictures so feel free to post as many as you can of your tank so we can all enjoy what you're doing! And again, Welcome!!

Nitesky

Thanks for the quick reply. It's 2:50 am here in hong kong now so will post pics tomorrow. Will look into the carbon filter product. So with 0.25ppm, do I have to change water ASAP?

Nitesky

couldn't sleep. The tentacle thing is out again. It retracts when it sees bright light.
the fork on the end
IMG_0037.jpg

tentacle
IMG_0029.jpg

Also found this worm, is it hazardous?
IMG_0032.jpg

pic of the tank. Very new right now.
IMG_0044.jpg

chiller and filter
IMG_0045.jpg

Nitesky

Just reached the hitchhikers section. Seems like the tentacle,e is a spoon worm, and th other a peanutvworm? Do I have to remove these two worms? Will they affect my tank?