Newbie - 29g Biocube - Lots of Questions

wyssj

I purchased a 29g biocube and have since started with setting it up. I did some research before hand and started the tank with just water till the proper temp was achieved then added 40lbs live sand after a few days. That set for about a week give or take then my live rock arrived. The rock I purchased came with lots of plants/macro algae and coralline algae as well as some other things that I don't know what they are. I skipped the step of rinsing my LR due to lack of knowledge, my own fault, and now I have dead organic matter on the sand bed and the plants are covered in organic particles and sand particles. And the water also developed a yellow-green tint. I am a week in now and salinity and temp are correct and the yellow-green tint has somewhat diminished. I have also noticed what I think are bristle worms in the sand, I guess these are good for cleaning the sand?

I have checked the nitrate levels and they are at zero...will it take more time than this first week to get higher and for cycling to really start?

Also, I keep reading conflicting/differing ways of cycling a new tank. My guess in combination to what I have read is that due to the LS and LR the cycle will go faster? I also have added a bacteria solution that is supposed to "seed" the tank. I added that after adding the LS.

And how to get rid of the tint to the water and the debris on the rock? I talked to someone at the local pet store and they said to do a partial water change weekly for the tint to go away and then start counting for the cycling process. And as for the debris, I read that a turkey baster, forcing water onto the rock will free it to be filtered and make the rock clean. I did this tonight and it does look better...well the rock does, my tank is a mess now.

Any help would be great. I feel like I am heading in the right direction, I would just like some conformation or correction if necessary (which is probably extremely likely since this is my first salt water tank).

I apologize for the long post but thanks for reading and for any help that you may be able to provide!!

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
wel21_e0.gif

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

If you want to clear your water a bit, might try running some carbon

Conway Corals

RS Sponsor
Welcome!

You sound like you are on the right track. One thing that everyone on these forums will tell you is GO SLOW!! If your tank has only been setup for a week or two, you have a ways to go.

Your cycle is dependent on so many factors, it is almost impossible to tell you how long it will take. You should see a spike in ammonia and nitrite then as they level off your nitrates will begin to climb.

I wouldn't do a water change just yet, let the cycle progress a bit more. You might also throw in an uncooked deli shrimp to give it a little more biological material to work with.

Good luck! And remember, go slow, it will help you more in the long run than you can even imagine.

:)