new water mixed with Red sea coral pro salt low calcium

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
When you mix your salt do you dump it all at once or do it slowly? If you just dump a ton in at once try mixing it slower. I had the same problem. The way I understand it is the water can not except the cal fast enough and it attaches to the bucket pumps and so on. I mix my salt over time. I put some in wait till the water clears up then add a little more.
Very good point, basic's of mixology lol

Camille

Could be a bad batch??? I bought a big bucket of the RS Coral Pro and the calcium tested at 350 every time. i got the guy at the LFS to test it and he had the same results. He tested the other bucket in his shop (same batch) and it did the same. I had to buy some RS Calk and a small, pricy bag of RS Coral Pro and all I've been offered by the RS rep is a cheaper bucket next time. Good luck!

Camille :)

vandit2kX

Could be a bad batch??? I bought a big bucket of the RS Coral Pro and the calcium tested at 350 every time. i got the guy at the LFS to test it and he had the same results. He tested the other bucket in his shop (same batch) and it did the same. I had to buy some RS Calk and a small, pricy bag of RS Coral Pro and all I've been offered by the RS rep is a cheaper bucket next time. Good luck!

So are you still using this salt?

Camille

I used up the rest of the bucket - just upped the calcium by adding RS Calc (not Kalk) to my top off water. I had to keep on using the RS Coral Pro salt as that is the only half descent salt I can get in Wellington. It's a bit hard/ expensive/ long wait time to get anything good in this hobby here in NZ.

Cheers!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I had to keep on using the RS Coral Pro salt as that is the only half descent salt I can get in Wellington. It's a bit hard/ expensive/ long wait time to get anything good in this hobby here in NZ.

Cheers!

So subsequent buckets are testing better?

Camille

So subsequent buckets are testing better?

Oh yes - they are fine :) But after my next discounted bucket I've been promised I might swap to a different brand. I seem to have failures all over the place with any RS product. The new tank had a pump missing, then stopped working, then skimmer giving super electric shocks and then the replacement skimmer pump had a faulty spindle and the salt of course. It wouldn't be so bad but it literally takes months to get anything resolved as the rep here doesn't seem to care or has to 'wait for the next shipment'....It's a shame as I really like the style of the tank - especially the new 's-series' ones. Oh well...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I hate to hear that. That honestly sucks because for the most part we see great Customer Service from RSM. Of course I'm only able to speak from a US stand point.

Good luck happy Reefing :)