New Water Changing System

StirCrayzy

Interesting concept for portability.

I would suggest marketing to LFS , or clubs who could buy one to rent/loan out to folks.

Steve L

Thanks everybody. I'm working on the engineering drawings as we speak and sourcing out a manufacturing facility. I'm sure it's at least 6-10 weeks before they're available but I'll let everybody here know when I have some ready to go.

Oxylebius

Any chance for a design that can go up and down stairs? Maybe big fat tires that can be pulled up/down stairs? I messed up my shoulder carrying buckets of water up and down the stairs. My RODI is on the 3rd floor, DT is on the second floor, old water from tank is poured out on the first floor.

Steve L

Any chance for a design that can go up and down stairs? Maybe big fat tires that can be pulled up/down stairs? I messed up my shoulder carrying buckets of water up and down the stairs. My RODI is on the 3rd floor, DT is on the second floor, old water from tank is poured out on the first floor.

I have the same problem Oxylebius. When the system is empty, it can easily be pulled up stairs with the large wheels to my daughter's tank in her room. I have an adapter that fits on the bathroom faucet where I hook up my RO unit. After I've finished the water change I wheel the system back into the bathroom and empty the waste water down the sink drain.

After I redesign the entire system to be made out of injection moulded plastic, it shoud be lighter than your average vacuum cleaner and easily carried up and down stairs when empty.

StirCrayzy

No reason your RODI can't pump through 30-40 ft of 1/4" line down the stairs to the DT area.
And why can't you start a siphon at DT and run a hose downstairs to drain?
You'd only be out storage space for the length of hose it takes to do it.

That seems to be the best new addition ever, My back has just about enough carrying 5 gal. buckets up & down stairs, any way of suppling more detailed instructions, I can't see all the connections & things that would be needed?
Thanks,
Rick

Steve L

Hello All,

I just thought that I would post an update on the progress I've been making on my portable water change system. I wound up making another prototype with the same tank size (12 gallon) but I've completely revamped the plumbing and base. The biggest problem I've been running into is getting the size and weight down to a point where they can be shipped for a fairly reasonable price. UPS, USPS and FedEx all have a maximum size for shipping on their regular delivery trucks and I kept surpassing that point until a few days ago. I have the weight down to the 50-60 pound range and I can just squeeze the entire unit into a carton that will allow it to be shipped UPS ground anywhere in the continental US for around $90 to $140. Ebay has shipping centers in the US where I would just have to pay for shipping to that point and then they ship it overseas for no additional cost, so I'm looking into using that as well.

Below are a few pictures of my updated version. It has a folding handle and a braket to mount the RO/DI filters on that can be removed for storage/shipping. It has a 500 GPH pump mounted under the tanks and I sourced out some new valves that are much easier to turn that standard off the shelf types. All of the plumbing and pump is mounted using threaded joints and unions, so should anything need to be replaced it's a pretty easy job. Please ignore the different types of PVC. I was going to do them all in Schedule 80 but that added about $100 to the cost so I've decided to do it all in Schedule 40 to keep the price as low as possible.

The last two pictures show the RO/DI unit removed, the the handle folds over the tanks and finally the unit standing on end for storage.

Any feedback or ideas are always appreciated.

Steve L

It's not going to be as cheap as I would like it to be reefle. Somewhere around $700 excluding shipping. If somebody were to build one themselves it would cost at least that much. I'm always looking for parts sources with better prices.

I'll be happy to do layaway plans :turntable

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Steve I think this looks GREAT! I would love to have one in my set-up.

In regards to pricing a while bag I was thinking of something similar but size restraints weren't an issue. I couldn't find half of the parts you're using for less than $600. For the workmanship and quality of components I think $700 is a very good deal.