new trigger

bandr1002

well, i have heard mixed reviews on the niger trigger. so far so good.
i went and got one and he is about 3 inches at the moment. has a great disposition, and eats well. even goes for the occasional cleaning from the two cleaner shrimp. yes he is in a reef, and i may or may not regret this later...... we shall see.

ladies and gentle germs meet rebound................
100_0911.jpg

calabdiver

Ooh careful with your coral triggers like to nip at them to my knowledge there is only one type of trigger that is reef safe but I can't remember what its called. Wish you the best of luck though :)

bandr1002

there are 3 triggers that are considerded to be best....

the blue jaw trigger (absolute safest)
the sargasim
and the pink tailed trigger

from what i have read there are people who keep (with success) the niger, there may be problems later on (depends on the individual fish's personality)

barbianj

The un-safeness usually comes from eating your inverts and knocking your corals over. Nice Trigger!

bandr1002

The un-safeness usually comes from eating your inverts and knocking your corals over. Nice Trigger!

not too worried about the knocking over of things my rockwork and all are pretty sturdy. and so far i have heard that they may or may not munch on the inverts.... can't add any but the ones that were in first should be o.k. we shall see.

michael_cb_125

Very nice fish. I really like the Niger Triggers.

Actually the only triggers that are considered to be truly reef safe are the Xanthichthys triggers. These fish are planktovores and include the following species:
Xanthichthys auromarginatus Blue Throat Trigger
Xanthichthys caeruleolineatus Gold Back Trigger
Xanthichthys lineopunctatus Striped Trigger
Xanthichthys mento Crosshatch Trigger
Xanthichthys ringens Sargassum Trigger

But the pink tail and Niger can do well in reef tanks also.

Again, Very Nice fish

~Michael

Frankie

RS STAFF
Very nice fish. I really like the Niger Triggers.

Actually the only triggers that are considered to be truly reef safe are the Xanthichthys triggers. These fish are planktovores and include the following species:
Xanthichthys auromarginatus Blue Throat Trigger
Xanthichthys caeruleolineatus Gold Back Trigger
Xanthichthys lineopunctatus Striped Trigger
Xanthichthys mento Crosshatch Trigger
Xanthichthys ringens Sargassum Trigger

But the pink tail and Niger can do well in reef tanks also.

Again, Very Nice fish

~Michael
Ditto. I have seen some people do well with the Niger. DO you have clams btw?

bandr1002

no clams, i don't want to risk it with the coral beauty and niger.

And as for an update, he is doing well, eating like a champ! i am very well pleased with him so far.