New Tools

Blue Space

well good morning all. i just got the hanna checker test kit from brs, cuz i'm tired of trying to guess what friggin shade of blue i'm looking at compared to the card -in any light... at any level of sobriety. It's time to for some piece of mind, knowing the actual level is what it should be. So while I was at it I decided it was finally time to get a refractometer and take advantage of the free shipping which is like getting $10 off. time to see what the diff is compared to a hydrometer...

20120920_070303_zps0fa31725.jpg

20120920_070713_zps2d29238d.jpg

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
hahahaha you'll need to be dead sober to get the calcium checker to work......I had to ask my wife to walk me through the directions!

Choff

+1 to that. I seriously questioned my intelligence after it took me 4 tries to actually follow the directions correctly. Between the annoying lids on the case and the trust factor of the CA test I switched to Red Sea test kits. Having CA/ALK/MG all in 1 nice box is a win for me. Love the Hannah phosphate though. Alk is really good too, but with the RS kit it became redundant. I posted them for sale in the goods forum. Still debating if I want to keep them as backup or let them go for a song.

Blue Space

ha! c'mon it should be as easy as playing xbox -just push a button! it's less buttons than my controller and i don't have any problems doing that lol.

i saw the directions here somewhere's

Blue Space

+1 to that. I seriously questioned my intelligence after it took me 4 tries to actually follow the directions correctly. Between the annoying lids on the case and the trust factor of the CA test I switched to Red Sea test kits. Having CA/ALK/MG all in 1 nice box is a win for me. Love the Hannah phosphate though. Alk is really good too, but with the RS kit it became redundant. I posted them for sale in the goods forum. Still debating if I want to keep them as backup or let them go for a song.

what's the trust factor issue? either it works or it doesn't right? did you call hanna?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
i think the trust factor is in how pure is your RO water or "distilled" as they call it.......and you have to be exact on the solution you add or it messes it up.

it is a good device and i continue to use it but it is not a push the button and go. The phosphate one is much easier. I don't own the alk one.

steved13

PREMIUM
I get them confused, I think it's the ALK that uses just a few drops of sample water. I thought with that small a sample if you're just a tiny bit off it would alter the results quite a bit.

I haven't found anything that comes anywhere near the hanna phosphate though. IMO it's the only way to get a useful reading for this hobby.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
yep....phosphate is hands down the best one.

Sorry to piss in your cheerios BlueSpace :)

carlfike

Calcium is easy. Just use Di water from Walmart. Don't trust your rodi water. Even a tds of like 2 will throw it off. I have a dedicated dropper just for Di water and calcium. If you are careful its easy. Make sure the tube is clean too. Use Di water and always put it in the unit with the 10ml thingy facing the front.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
That exact checker had Devon n I swearing for an hour. Course there was a certain level of impairment

..........rarely am I speechless

Blue Space

well i'll be sure to get saucy before attempting any of these tests then... if that's what the experts do. :D

Blue Space

yep....phosphate is hands down the best one.

Sorry to piss in your cheerios BlueSpace :)

no worries. as long as it works -i mean as long as i can do the procedure correctly, i'm hoping for good results that will be accurate without guessing.

Calcium is easy. Just use Di water from Walmart. Don't trust your rodi water. Even a tds of like 2 will throw it off. I have a dedicated dropper just for Di water and calcium. If you are careful its easy. Make sure the tube is clean too. Use Di water and always put it in the unit with the 10ml thingy facing the front.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

wow! that is touchy... thanks for tips everyone.

Blue Space

the good news is my hydrometer (1.025) is very close to the refractometer = 1.026

wife says i can't make that movie :( family site and all...

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
the good news is my hydrometer (1.025) is very close to the refractometer = 1.026

wife says i can't make that movie :( family site and all...

U talked me into calibrating my refracto. 1.026 exactly. Sweet!

..........rarely am I speechless

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
all the drinking that everyone talks about here, sheesh. I sometimes wander if this is the AA for marine biologist. Lots of good info, if ya catch em early enough in the day :drunk:

Forgive me, i quit smoking tuesday...its been a bit hard, i have already been told im being too blunt.