New to the sw game..

silver97

I have recently created a saltwater reef tank that has been running for about 2 months now. It is 40 gallons, would have gone bigger but money was somewhat tight. I have a Fluval 306 filter cleaning it right now, a hydor koralia pump with 850 g pump flow, and an orbit marine LED light fixture that has been doing very well in my tank. I also have around 30 lbs. of live rock in it.
As i started out I kind of rushed the processs, and after having a tank for a month i thought that was enough time for it to cycle and time to get some fish. I rushed to a Petco where the day before i scoped out my clean up crew and a bta, consisting of a fire shrimp and 6 hermit crabs. I bought them all at once, acclimated them to my tank, taking extra care to drip acclimate my bta and rushed out to another pet store where i bought my other fish. Everything was fine and alive when i left.
When i got to the other fish store, i bought 1 regular and 1 black oscellaris clownfish, an emerald crab and 2 blue green chromis and a frag of coral that i believed at the time to be a xenia. Not at any point did my vendor ask me anything about my tank, and they are known around here to be some of the most knowledgeable. I spent about $250-$300 that day.
Having a headache from acclimating all my fish and some troubles, i took a nap, 3 hours I later woke up to find both my clownfish, both green chromis, the emerald crab and the fire shrimp DEAD. I was shocked, stressed out and tired so i decided id deal with it tomorrow.
I called the 2nd fish store and they basically told me i added too many things at once. THANK GOD they credited me for the more expensive things. I wasnt going to bother with Petco, i haven't had good experiences buying freshwater fish with them in the past and didn't want to go through the hassle of it.
I waited 2 more weeks for my tank to cycle completely, which it did, and i bought some zoas and palys online. Seeing they would be a good beginner coral i bought a pack of 45 polyps, and right now i would say around 30 survived (they took a few days to get to Pa from Florida). They are mostly doing fine now.
3 days ago I went back to the other fish store and bought another oscellaris, and i named him Third (short for third times the charm(I have a somewhat cruel sense of humor)). He is alive and well and is swimming all throughout my tank.
However, Third does not host in my bta. I figure its just because he hasnt found it yet, and its only been 3 days with him, but since the month the bta has been in my tank it hasnt shown many signs of being happy. It kind of threw itself behind a rock and gets enough light, but it hasnt eaten anyting since getting it. The tentacles are somewhat see through, which i know is a red flag, but the body is still pink and the tips of its tentacles are still white. I see it pooping all the time, which is why i think it is still ok from the photosynthetic cells inside it. But i would like to know any tips on how to possibly make it happier and healthier.
Another question i have is about the mystery frag i got from my fish store. I thought it was xenia but within the last week or so suspect it isnt because it has more of a structure than most do. It looks like a branching coral, and im wondering if i accidentally picked up an acropora or something along those lines. ill post pics of all the things i asked about
my tank
IMG_0216.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0220.JPG
    IMG_0220.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 11

silver97

my computer is being uncooperative at the moment and wont let me post the other pics, i think i have the mystery frag in the last post but i can upload the pic of my anemone right now

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

My 1st thought on mystery frag is a kenya tree coral ... see what others think

On your nem... here a great site to do some reading up on them...
http://www.karensroseanemones.net/

and my best sw tip... ask 1st here on the forum... this will save you $$$, time & trouble

silver97

Thanks for the tips, ive actually been on that anemone site before, extremely helpful. I think ill start a new thread on the mystery frag

DaveK

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, after all everyone was new once. However, I recommend you return the BTA to your LFS. Yesterday would be soon enough (grin)

Anemones require excellent water conditions, and a well established tank. This means the tank should be set up and running for about a year before you even consider an anemone.

Anemones also require very powerful lighting. In checking the specs of the orbit marine LED light fixture that I think your using, your lighting would need to be upgraded for these kind of anemones.

I'd like to see a picture, but from what your describing, the anemone you have is bleached. A healthy one should look brown with green or red colors in there also. White almost always means it's bleached. They can be brought back, but you need excellent water conditions, and a lot of time.

With all that against you, your better off taking it back, rather than having it die on you and foul the tank.

There are some other issues with your tank that should be addressed, but those can be gone over later. The anemone is a serious issue.

silver97

Yeah i kind of figured it was bleached... but i dont want to return a sick anemone to Petco (where i got it) because they probably wont take it, do you think another lfs would? I dont think im going to have time to run out there either in the nextweek or so, i have school starting up next week and when im not in school im doing something else.
Do you think there is anything i can do to prolong its life as it is right now? I just checked the water yesterday, ammonia,and nitrites are at 0, and nitrates are around 10-20.