New To The Forum

SKOTY CHOPS

Well, Im A New Guy Here, I Have Started A 80 Gal Reef Tank Or Should Say In The Process Of It. It Is In Its Beginning Stages. I Am 26 Yrs Old And I Own My Own Business Building Traditional Hot Rods (skoty Chops Kustoms) . I Love The Ocean And Water, I Thought I Would Have A Piece Of Mother Nature In My Home. I Have Experience With Salt Water Fish Set Ups , But Not With Reef Set Ups, So Am Learning As I Go. My Tank Is A 80 Gal Aqua System Tank, I Have Turned The Aqua System Into A Refugium , I Have Lots Of Live Rock, Live Sand, 4 Damsels, 380 Watts Of Power Compact Lights, Sump With A Protien Skimmer, Dual Timer,i Have Been Adding In My Calcium, Iodine And Iron. So Its On Its Way. Well I Hope To Meet A Few Of You Guys On Here, And Possibly Educate Myself So I Do Have A Succesfull Tank

Gina

RS STAFF
Welcome to RS!
One thing I would suggest is that you test your water parameters before adding any chemicals. Alot of the salts have everything your tank needs and you may be overdosing.

What type of corals are you planning on keeping?
Some corals require more light than what you have. You may need to look into upgrading to MH's.

lcstorc

Welcome to RS!
Sounds like you are well on your way.
There are lots of friendly helpful people here so if you have any questions do not be afraid to ask.
Post pics when you can since we love pics here.
Since you just set up your tank it might be a cool idea to start a tank chronicle and document the progress. It can be really cool to look back at and see how things change over time.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Welcome to RS! Sounds like your doing good with the beginings. I am guessing your dosing iron for the refugium. I would lay off of that and see how it grows with out it first. Gina's right about your salt mix having most things you need. Cant wait for the pictures!

aqujoe247

I have had nothing but great experiences with the RS family, and I hope the blessing is passed on to you.

Welcome and good luck

SKOTY CHOPS

I PURCHASED THIS TANK USED AND HAD BEEN RUNNING FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS PRIOR TO ME HAVING IT, THE GUY I BOUGHT IT FROM SAID IT WAS REEF READY, AND THAT WAS NOT TRUE. I HAD TO GET EVERYTHING TO PROPERLY RUN A REEF TANK. I USED 50% OF HIS WATER AND 50% NATURAL SEA WATER. I PLAN ON RUNNING SOFT CORRALS, I LIKE ALOT OF MOVEMENT IN MY TANK. THE CORRALS THAT NEED LESS LIGHT I WAS GOING TO RUN TOWARDS THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK, AND THE STUFF THAT NEEDS MORE LIGHT UP TOWARDS THE TOP OF THE TANK. IM REALLY SHOOTING TOWARDS A HARDY TANK . I AM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MY SUMP RETURN PUMP , IT IS PUMPING OUT FASTER THEN ITS COMING IN. I HAVE A CONTROL VALVE FOR IT BUT I CANT GET IT SYNCRONIZED. HOW ELSE CAN I FIX THIS PROBLEM. I HAVE SHUT IT DOWN FOR NOW , I DONT WANT FLOODING OR THE PUMP RUNNING DRY IF I DECIDE TO WALK AWAY FROM THE TANK. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATTED. ITS GOOD TO MEET SOME OF YOU GUYS. I WILL PUT UP PICS OF MY TANK SOON.THANKS
Gina said:
Welcome to RS!
One thing I would suggest is that you test your water parameters before adding any chemicals. Alot of the salts have everything your tank needs and you may be overdosing.

What type of corals are you planning on keeping?
Some corals require more light than what you have. You may need to look into upgrading to MH's.

BHinAK

Your return pump has a GPH rating, calculate the head loss then check the overflow drain rate from the manufacture. If your pump supplies over 800gph after head loss your overflow box should have at lease 2ea 1in return drains.

Example: I have a pump that is rated at 1330gph but after 4ft of hight up to the tank its about 950gph. My overflow is rated for 800gph so the ball valve is wide open.

Thats the quick and easy, then there are the pipe dia and number of right angle joints and how close they are to each other factors.

Hope that helps alittle.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Welcome to RS SKOTY CHOPS.

First off we need to know the size of the drain and which return pump are you using.

I HAVE A CONTROL VALVE FOR IT BUT I CANT GET IT SYNCRONIZED

I would not do that since it will probably damage the pump.

Marc Melev:

To avoid too much flow to your tank, in case your pump is too powerful, you can put a "tee" in your return plumbing, and an elbow pointing straight back down into your sump. Then you put a ball valve on that. If the valve is wide open, the majority of your water will go straight back into your sump. The more you close the valve, the more water goes up to the tank. This is the best system, because your pump will never feel a restriction and it won't shorten the lifespan of your pump.

http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html