New to the Forum & This is my Tank

RockBox

I was looking for a new reef forum and just discovered this site today. A few of you may recognize me from another forum but for all the others here I am going to make my introduction by posting some pics and info about my tank. The tanks is LPS and soft coral dominated. There are 5 fish in the tank.

Here are the specs:

Total cost of hardware: $475.00 (new).
Display: 40 Gallon Breeder 36" x 18" x 16"
Lighting: 4 x 39w HOT5's overdriven to 64 watts each are housed in a custom made fan cooled aluminum hood with remote ballasts.
Circulation: 4 Hagen Elite Mini Powerfilters @ 58GPH each. One Aquaclear 200 HOB with modified surface skimmer. The powerheads are configured for a Gyre style flow pattern.
Filtration: Live rock, macro algae, and carbon.

Maintenance:
25% water changes are typically performed every 2 months. New carbon is exchanged at least once a month. Calcium and alkalinity levels are maintained almost daily with a 2 part additive. Magnesium is added when needed. Other tasks include; stirring up the shallow sand bed with an acrylic rod, basting the live rock, cutting back macro algae, beating the chaeto with a stick, cleaning the glass with a razor, cleaning powerheads + filter, and manually topping off daily with distilled water.

The tank is as close to an all in one eco-system as you are going to get I think.

Here are some tank shots:

Tank01.jpg

Nov805.jpg

Tank03.jpg

Tank04.jpg

topdown04.jpg

Here is an unflattering pic of my chaeto patch which is hidden behind the rock-wall and corals.

Nov807.jpg

That's all for the tank shots. Hope you all like my low tech reef. I'll post some pics of my corals and fish soon. Please feel free to respond with any questions or comments and I hope the server works better here!

ReefLady

Staff member
That is one absolutely beautiful tank! The colors are stunning. Those red zo's are gorgeous. What is the pink/red coral on the substrate? Looks a little like a fungia, but I don't think that's right.

One of the nicest tanks I've seen in a long time.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Talk about COLOR explosion!

It looks like a box of Nuclear Crayons exploded and colored your tank up.

WOW! *wipes drool from chin*

RockBox

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Here are some pics of my corals:

Zoas and Shrooms
Zoos01.jpg

Tubipora
pipeorgan01.jpg

Echinophyllia
Chalice01.jpg

Frogspawn, Hammer & Zoas
FrogspawnHammerZoos.jpg

Frogspawn
Frogspawn01.jpg

Symphyllia
Symphyllia01.jpg

Candycane
Candycane01.jpg

Crocea Clam
Crocea01.jpg

Thanks again for the kind responses so far!

Mya

I hate you.

Okay, I don't really but yes. I am rather jealous. You will be a strong contender for tank of the month....

None the less, welcome to RS.
We are all very pleased to have you here... even me.

Btw, thanks for the pics. Its nice not having to ask for once.

RockBox

Thank you all for the kind responses! Its quite rewarding to see the enthusiasm you have all presented to me so far.

goldenmacman ~ The tank is 3 years old and was set-up as a transfer from my 18 month old 30G. Several of the corals in the tank are approaching 5 years and have been cut back numerous times.

The Crocea clam has anchored itself into a depression in the rock and corals have grown around it much like they can appear in the wild.

new reefer 03 ~ The camera is a 8 mega pixel
Cannon PS A630. The camera is set to manual and a tripod is used. To get the sharpness and color I set the camera to vivid and sharpness to superfine.

And now for a video. Its medium quality and the colors are not as vibrant but it captures my tank well enough: