HELP! New to Salt water

kelsyleyendecker

My crab molted. At first I saw the milt and thought I'd killed him. He hadn't been moving much since we added the clown but I guess that was coincidence. Because when I looked at the other side of the shell, there was a crab fully functioning. I did save the molt cuz I love nature and science. Figured I'd share a few pics in case nobody has seen one before. Very fascinating. Freaked the kids out when I said, "Oh no! I think I killed the crabbie!" Spoke too soon.

9d487b4b7ae2da6a2050929f86b91dd8.jpg
69b9b92e4c4f6f2aae604119cb1fa693.jpg
1012089217892c5a5edd76ce9b4942b1.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

kelsyleyendecker

We have a tarantula that we have actually been able to watch the molt process. I don't even know if it's called that with crabs. It didn't dawn on me that this happens but I should've known! Anyways, wonder if I can do something to preserve it for a few weeks so my kids can use it for their show n tell in their homeschool co-op classes.

kelsyleyendecker

Now that we have a clownfish, my crabs shell looks like it has algae on it. The tank is a bit dirtier than it used to be when it was just the crab. But because my crab is on the aggressive side, I'm not sure if I can add any helpful cleaners. Anyone have advice on this one? I did a 40% water change today and cleaned our the filter and put a new replacement in it. All water levels are fabulous. But I see some fuzz hanging out that wasn't there before and I'm not clear on how to handle that.

Marty.h

Grab yourself a Salifert test kit for phosphate.

Depending on your filtration as I've not read all your thread yet you could run rowaphos or alloy bassed phos remover.

Having seen what I've seen so far you could dose red sea nopox if your system is only small that will soon remove phosphate and nitrate.

Again having not read all the way through your thread, the water you are using does it have 0 TDS as by not adding good quality water will also fuel algae.

kelsyleyendecker

I think there has been A LOT of uneaten food the last couple days because we had a different fish that was not a good match. When we got the clown, he didn't like that food so. A lot went to the floor and the crab couldn't eat it all. The water was clear this morning but since my water change its been cloudyish and it normally doesn't take this long to settle.

Marty.h

If you have a lot of uneaten food that's not being eaten then syphon it out and feed a lot less the cloudy Ness sounds like it could be a bacteria bloom this is normal if there is a sudden spike in bioload it's basically the filter catching up.

Having now read through your thread with the size of filter you have you would be better of feeding very tiny amounts often instead of a big feed as all you will do leaving uneaten food laying around is foul your water.

kelsyleyendecker

Yea so when we had the blenny for a day. It ate the blood worms and stuff. But then when we gave that to the clown hoping he would eat it, it went to waste. He barely touched on any of that so it wasted a lot. I have no idea how to syphon the food out. The crab is working like crazy though. There's virtually no nitrAtes in here. PH might be low though.

Marty.h

You can get a buffer to bring PH up.

If you are due to change water get a piece of hose like a garden hose or tank airline if you want to syphon slower.

Pop one end in the tank and hold it below the tank and suck on pipe this will start a syphon put the lower part in a bucket and with the part that's in the tank move it towards the uneaten food this will suck it up and deposit it in the bucket removing it from your tank once clean you then top up with fresh water.

If you are wanting to re - use the water and put it back get a filter sock for the bucket and put the pipe into that it will then catch all the uneaten food and debris you can then remove filter sock once done and then just tip water back.

bazmackem

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=161356311638&globalID=EBAY-GB

I got one of these, work a a treat!! I use it for sucking cyano etc out (sometimes have to return micro stars that end up in the bucket!).

You could use flakes and sprinkle on surface, our clowns come straight up of them (turn pump off so water is still) ... Then if some are left you could scoop off surface? Just a thought, my cleaner shrimp/fire shrimp and Vic make light work of ANYTHING I have in the tank... Including bait for traps!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Keep up your wc & don't overfeed & don't worry about ph if it is 7.8-8.5 (don't start dosing), your tank just cycled & a lot of this is all new tank progression... :nessie:

Marty.h

Looks like algae that is dead you could lift him out put him in a bowl of water taken strait from the tank and give his shell a brush with an old toothbrush it will soon come off or just leave it.

Pulling him out and scrubbing it may annoy him but what ever it is on him looks dead to me.