New to RS

Chase

Back in the aquarium hobby after a 10 year hiatus from fish keeping. Currently have 27 gal. cube freshwater (3 months old), and a 40 gal (breeder) reef tank 6 months old. Both are doing great! How I missed the beauty of living art. Having a slight issue with hard corals (bleaching), and also a leather coral (doesn't open fully). All water parameters are in line: No3 zero, PH 8.2, Ca2 480, KH 200, PO zero, Beginning to think I may not have enough lighting. Currently using the Edge LED 36". Is this enough light?

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

Hopefully someone can advise on the lights !

DaveK

... Beginning to think I may not have enough lighting. Currently using the Edge LED 36". Is this not enough light??

This could be. The 36" Edge LED fixture is only about 60w but uses 87 LEDs most of which are in the white area. The LEDs are only 1/2w. This means the light doesn't have a lot of penetrating power and doesn't have enough blue. In my opinion this light is better on a FW SYSTEM.

You could add an additional fixture, but I think you'd still be lacking in spectrum.Consider replacing the lighting. What you replace it with depends upon what sort of corals you plan to keep, and where you want to place the corals. Personally, I'd consider the following, but there are other ok choices.
AI Hydra 52, AI Hydra 26, Kessil A360 Controllable, EcoTech Radion XR30w Gen 3, EcoTech Radion XR15w Pro.

The down side is that you would need two of any of the above fixtures to light your tank without leaving any dark corners. The other factor is that this type of high end lighting isn't going to come cheep. You'd spend about 8 to 15 times the price of the Edge fixture. Note - some of those LED fixtures require an additional controller of some sort, and some may require installation kits to hang them.

If you do opt for another LED system, check the features carefully. All LEDs are not created equal. It's OK if your missing a feature you don't need, but it it's something critical, you either have to live with the missing feature, or get something else.

Lastly, while LED lighting is all the rage now, The older T5 lighting is far from bad. Consider a 6 tube fixture of T5 lighting too. Don't forget to count bulb replacement costs, figuring your replace them every 12 to 18 months

Chase

Thanks I'll check into the lighting you've recommended. Prior to moving everything into this tank I had it in the 27 gal cube. I then used the Elive, pod lighting fixture. Everything was doing AWESOME under that light at max pods (20" 12 pods). Thought about maybe going back that direction. BUt I will definitely check out your recommendations first. Thank you