New to Reefing, starting with Nano Reef

Lochinvar

Hi guys,
I am a complete newbie to reefing, read a lot about the hobby and finally decided to give it a go. The adventure begins.
Before I will get a good size tank (i have my eye on 425xl Red Sea Reefer) , I would like to learn some basics about reefing with try / error so I will start with 15g nano reef which will be later used as quarantine or hospital tank. I would imagine i will make tonnes of mistakes so thought this will be a good start with smaller reef if something goes terribly wrong. Finger crossed with your kind help and guidance I will make it work.

So what I bought so far:

- Aqua Nano 55l tank ( came with Led lights, pump, wave maker, 55w heater)
- Red Sea Coral Pro salt
- extra Fluval CP2 circulation pump
- extra 50w heater
- Red Sea aragonite sand
- dry coral rock 12lbs
- Marine Test Kit
- something like bio spira
- Ro/di unit

Plan is to run this nano tank without skimmer just with bio filtration and water changes. There will be only couple clown fish plus maybe anither ? Fish, cleaning shrimp, and some sps corals.

Today i had the ro unit installed and after 3 hours of flushing it i am making some ro water.

I was playing with rocks to see how to stack them in such a small tank.

image.jpeg

Here is my first question. It is a dry rock but i can see some dead bits on it. I have read several threads how to cure rock, but here is the confusion:
Do I use ro water with red sea salt, pump and heater in a bucket or ro water no salt and only pump for circulation, lid on?

What is the proper way
Thanks for your help.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
^ that is what I would do... and skip the bio spira, I would just add a raw deli shrimp (prawn) and let it rot.

Would love to see you start a tank thread & share your tank with us, we Love pics :dance:

start testing & watch for the ammonia to raise then drop, followed by the Nitrites raising and then dropping, then the Nitrates will soar - once the ammonia & nitrites are gone, then do water changes to reduce nitrates.

Ammonia > Nitrite > Nitrate
CyclingGraph.gif

Lochinvar

image.jpeg image.jpeg Ok time for an update

Tank installed, pump, heater, rocks and sand

Water is mixed and it is overnight in a backet to dissolve salt and to be heated to 26 deg

The tank does not have an indication how high should go the water level, would you say it needs to be in the middle of the comb?

Ta

mr_tap_water

That's a slick looking tank you've got there Will be looking forward to seeing it up and running[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk