New to Nano

djbacon

Off to a great start - looking good - I wish, in retrospect that I would have scaped a little higher too.

wav0718

Well I just got back from a 3 week vacation, my brother-in-law was topping off the water for me while I was away. Water test as follows:
S.G. 1.026
pH 8.5
ALK 4
Cal 340 (added 2 cap of Reef Comp ~ should go to 360)

The two corals I added earlier are still alive.

The Chalice
CIMG0640.jpg

The Acropora
CIMG0639.jpg

Since they both are still alive, I decided to add a few more.
CIMG0623.jpg

CIMG0630.jpg

CIMG0631.jpg

And a few critters added:
CIMG0634.jpg

CIMG0648.jpg

CIMG0682.jpg

djbacon

thats some very dark skimmate - you dont even have any fish in the tank do you? Im starting to believe what everyone says about my oceanic skimmer being a P.O.S.

wav0718

When the pic was taken I only had 4 hermits, 2 snails. The Tunze Nano DOC Protein Skimmer 9002 works great. I don't have any exp with the oceanic skimmer, but stay away from the fission nano. I bought it before reading any reviews and it was truely a p.o.s. I am very satisfied with the Tunze Nano Skimmer.

wav0718

Question???
I have a Hang-on Refugium and I have noticed a lot of little white bug looking things. I think they are copods? Here is a pick. (to the right on the black wall)
CIMG0725.jpg

Should I add snails or a tiny fish to eat these and keep the refugium clean?

wav0718

I was never a fan of the 24 gallon aquapod stand or the curved glass front. I recently visited a new aquarium store and saw the 34 gallon solana and fell in love with the design. So, I will be busy transfering the 24 gallon to the 34 gallon. Anyone interested in a 24 gallon aquapod/stand/sunpod? I'm in Elk Grove, CA. Paid 500 but will sell for 250. A little over 2 months old.

Current tank setup

CIMG0747.jpg

New tank to be setup

CIMG0749.jpg

Will keep you posted on progress of new tank. I am planning to do a diy overflow/sump. Hope all goes without disasters.

wav0718

It does fit, I had to break off the back clips of the skimmer where the screws attach.

CIMG0787.jpg

Last edited:

wav0718

Well after a long day, I finally got the transfer done. Here are some pics.

CIMG0778.jpg

Front

CIMG0792.jpg

Right

CIMG0793.jpg

CIMG0791.jpg

Left

CIMG0794.jpg

CIMG0795.jpg

Hang-on back fuge (i'm a litte worried about this - you think there is an issue with to much strain on the back glass? I don't want to cause any loose seams)

CIMG0788.jpg

***WARNING*** If anyone is planning to buy one of these. DO NOT, DO NOT!!! use the top glass cover while the light is running. There was no warning not to so I thought it would be okay, but after 3 hours with the lights on here is what happened to my glass top. It shattered into pieces. I emailed current-usa, I'll let you know if I get a response. I hope I don't have any other issues with this tank.

CIMG0806.jpg

wav0718

Well, no response from current-usa about the glass top.. oh well.
Been pretty busy the past few days with the diy overflow and sump. I bought a 2100 rio return pump but I think it was to powerful since it kept my tank water level 1/8 inch from the top. I tried to modify the impeller and cut the fins to lower the flow - well i cut to much and created no flow :smack:
I am planning to get a 1700 rio, do you think this will be better, is there an adjustment function on this one? I am also planning to put two float switches as safty shutoffs incase of an overflow. I'll post some pics as soon as it is running.

lcstorc

Gorgeous new tank.
Sorry about the glass but you will get much lower temps and more gas exchange with an open top or one covered in egg crate .

wav0718

Well I've been pretty busy the past week.. here are some updates:

DIY OVERFLOW -
CIMG0820.jpg

CIMG0822.jpg

STORE BOUGHT SUMP -
CIMG0814.jpg

The flow (still needs some tweaking) -
CIMG0826.jpg

CIMG0842.jpg

THE ATO -
CIMG0846.jpg

CIMG0847.jpg

The cup is a splash guard
CIMG0848.jpg

I am having issues with the ATO. Once the pump shuts down a syphon is created even tho the end of the tubing is above the water. I think it might be because the pump sits below 20 gallons and the water pressure is forcing the water to flow out even when the pump is off. Any one have any suggestions?

THE EGG CRATE TOP -
CIMG0816.jpg

I am still planning to install two float switches as an emergency shut off to the pumps incase my water level gets to high in my tank or sump. Thanks for looking/suggestions welcome. :bigbounce

grinch

Welcome!! I have an 8g Biocube, and thier is no pS that will fit. So I do water changes, not that big of a deal with only 8g.

Stacef

Wow you are doing a wonderful job! Glad to see you posted pictures, and lots of them, that's what we like to see! I noticed a little while back you asked what was in your fuge (the little white things) They are copepods, you dont need to put a snail in there, great breeding grounds for them!!! Your fish will love the copepods!

wav0718

nice.. thanks for the info. I just got the two float switches today. I plan to install them this weekend. I'll post some pics when I get them running.