New to it all and need some advice!

AnisaG

Hi,

I have just ordered a 29g biocube that should be arriving at the end of this week. I am SO excited, and of course have been scouring the net for good deals on things like live rock and sand...

So, here is the question; if I can get a crazy awesome deal but don't have the aquarium yet is it possible to leave the live rock and sand in a saltwater bucket until I am ready to put them into the aquarium?

Thanks for all your help; I know I am sure going to need it over the next little while!

deehz

Hi Anisa!!!! And welcome to RS! The best reefing site on the net.

If you can, check your local clubs in your area to see if some of the reefers are selling some of there live rock. You can typically purchase it for much less then if you were to purchase the LR on the net or an LFS.

The answer to your question is yes. You can put the rock in buckets as you await for you Biocube to arrive. You want to also add a pump to the bucket w/the live rock to add circulation to the rock. You can even take it a step further if you can get a protein skimmer to skim of the waste. Doing this will help out w/the cycling process of the live rock.

Do lots of reading, research and ask lots of questions. There is no such thing IMHO as a dumb question. Most importantly, have lots of fun in this rewarding hobby!!
:welcomera

BobBursek

What kind of "live sand"? If it is bagged live sand there is no such thing, if it is from someone's tank then it is live and should be put in a container, and some circulation, and for both try and keep the temp up around 75*F minimum to keep the live stuff a live.

Jose Guzman

Hello Anisa. Are you going to keep a photo log of setting up your Biocube? For whatever weird reason i find it fun to watch tanks setup from start to finish.

AnisaG

Hi Jose

Yes I plan on starting my own thread, it will be a super slow process, so you will have to bear with me! lol
And I don't think it's weird, almost everything I have learned has been from reading threads of peoples tanks start to finish.... I love it too :)

AnisaG

Hi Jose

Yes I plan on starting my own thread, it will be a super slow process, so you will have to be patient with me! lol
And I don't think it's weird, almost everything I have learned has been from reading threads of peoples tanks start to finish.... I love it too :)