New to 2 part dosing

carmexx

I'm trying to wrap my head around 2 part dosing. After a battery of tests my Alk and Mg is very very low. My SPS nor other corals didn't reflect the low results I have.But I am gonna start! I had Randy's Recepie #1 in mind...http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/4/chemistry. I am trying to find what you DIY'ers use. The Calcium Chloride I can get local as ESV at champion lighting. It's 800g @ $16.75. Baking soda pretty self explanatory. The MG part they say to use epsom salts. Well chime in anyone as to whether I should amend this formula or not. Also any recommendations what ingredients to use.

carmexx

Yeah, I did check that out. From what I'm reading though, I can save alot of money on DIY stuff. I see some people pickup at pool supply stores in bulk. Exploring every option.

DaveK

Since your new to 2 part dosing, get your additives premixed from your LFS. Yes, it's more expensive, but your in a learning process. Only go to bulk chemicals once you have the basics down.

Since we are on the subject, a few more things to look out for. Make sure your SG is correct before running water tests. If it's not it will skew test results a lot. Also, before using additives, make sure your magnesium level is correct. If it's not, it is very difficult to maintain the calcium, alkalinity, pH balance. Test your new SW when you mix it. The problem could be there, and it might be a question of changing salt brands.

Above all, since your corals are doing good as things are, go show here, and ramp up slowly. Many have created a disaster chasing numbers.

carmexx

Thanks Dave. I haven't tested in a while til yesterday and that's where my concern came from. I want to prevent losing my livestock/corals.
Just recently I changed salt brands from red sea coral to brightwell's. I had used Brightwell's in the past and always got marginal DKH numbers. Always around DKH of 7. If I remember correctly this is NSW though.
A little about my tank. My sps are doing well. Great polyp extension and growth. Ever since I ramped up the lighting on my Hydra's i've seen great color returning to some of my "brown" sps. I have had NO coraline algae develop at all since startup. I have surpassed the 1 year mark. I didn't want to add any more coral as I thought they were using the Ca,Mg, and Alk as fast as I could add it. I do 5-10 gallon water changes twice a week. A member of another forum I had got some great sps frags had concerns that I didn't dose. I had traded an encrusting strawberry shortcake and he was impressed.

Anyway my testing results were off the wall.
Calcium was 400.....which I think is right on.
Magnesium was a pitiful 800....way off the mark
DKH was off the parameters for the test. I checked it twice....1.5 Meg/L.

SG is 35ppt (refractometer)
Temp is 77.5 F
Ph was around 7.7

I looked into the BRS package Diemaker suggested and I may go that route and start manually dosing as I don't have the money to get a doser yet.

carmexx

Back to the basics with testing. I did a 5 gallon water change sunday.
My new salt water tested good...

Ca 425
Mg 1400
DKH 9.2 or 3.3 meq/l
SG was high ( i mixed too much) 37 ppt

Today I tested the aquarium water and here's what I found 2 days later...

Ca 380
Mg 1380
DKH 5.6 or 2.0 meq/l
SG 36 ppt
Temp 77.4 f
Ph 7.57

I looks like my corals are depleting the Kh alot. My SPS does not look distressed in any way though. They are just the opposite and thriving/growing. I will get the 2 part starter kit from BRS soon and try to keep those numbers level. In the mean time I'll stick to my regiment of 10 gallon water changes a week.