New Tanks

Koda2007

Hi, Just a general question.
How long would you take before adding clam to a new setup.
Obviously cycled.
All params are ok
Good lighting
Plenty of live rock
The tank is good to go. What are your opinions

Thanks

michael_cb_125

how long have you had your tank setup?
Also what type of lighting do you have?
Generally I wait at least 6 months before I add any clam to my tank

Koda2007

Not my tank.
Was in an LFS and was listening to a converation between a newbie and the owner. To the newbies credit he had cycled is tank, checked water params and got the lfs to test them. The newbie was asking about the clams as he liked the look of them and was told his tank was fine for them.
Unfortunately I have a big mouth and intervened. I asked him about lighting, size of tank ect and how long it had been going. It was just cycled and was to be is first addition.
I told him a big NO. Of course the LFS owner was not happy, whic ended up in a rater eated debate. Luckily the young man left without buying and I had to leave.
Just wanted peoples opinion to put my mind at rest. I am experienced but by no means an expert in marines

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No apologies needed. You were right.

Just because a tank is "Cycled" in no way means it's stable and ready for anything esepcially a CLAM! The reason for the 6 month (and I would push for more) is because by that time the person has gone through (and hopefuilly WON) most of the common new tank battles. By that time the tank is much more "settled" and able to take care of itself. One thing I like to add is it's not really how long has the tank been "Set Up" but how long has it had GREAT water quality! I've seen tanks over a year old that weren't worth having MUD in let alone a precious clam. The tank needs to be well established and STABLE for SIX Months... not set up SIX months. There is a HUGE difference between those two statements.

You did good and now go find a REPUTABLE LFS to give your hard earned $$ to. Also hopefully you gave the newbie the link to RS :)

Koda2007

Hi panmanmatt, Its not funny having a sticky pad.
I have been looking for info on Seahorses and typed in Seahore, Quite interesting results, just my luck my wife came in, good job I had not opened any of it. Still dont think she believes me.
Hi BigAl not my LFS had just popped in to have a look, good job I wont be invited back

panmanmatt

Hi panmanmatt, Its not funny having a sticky pad.
I have been looking for info on Seahorses and typed in Seahore,

Sorry, I have a twisted sense of humor.

You want info on seahorses we have a seahorse forum on here that you can ask any questions you may have.

Or you can check out www.seahorse.org, although that site seems to be down right now for some strange reason.

Either one you choose I will answer any questions I can.

By the way, I have seen the results for Seahore.

lcstorc

I would definitely want a stable tank before adding a clam. I would go with the same recommendations as an anemone. A year old stable tank with great lighting and parameters.

Koda2007

Hi Panmanmatt no need to apologise it was totally taken as humor, I was trying to be humorous aswell and it is true about Seahores. As for Seahorses have looked on here and Seahorse.org. Both brilliant. I suppose like everyone else I want to find and learn as much as I can hence the search.

panmanmatt

Well feel free to post your ideas and questions and we will door best to get you started.

I can tell you that Seahorse.org is probably the most up to date info you are going find on seahorses. I help run that site so my opinions may be biased. I can also assure you that any info I give here is also the most up to date that I have access to.

There are quite a few UK folks on Seahorse.org that can help with specific questions as to what is available to you over there and where is the best places to get it.

Koda2007

Hi Panmanmatt,
Its good job I said Seahorse.org was a brilliant site or our friendship was over before it began. By the way already a member been posting on there over the last week or so.

panmanmatt

LOL, your feelings on the site wouldn't effect our friendship at all. Glad you have been enjoying it though.

What is your user name over there and I will be sure to look in on your posts and offer what i can.