new tank

junnie

Just got a new tank for free. its 120gl not predrilled. what should i dowith it. it came with 4 bran new fluval felters . should i do slat water again or fresh. my last tank crash and crash hard. this made me sell everything off now im starting all over and im not sure what to do. some help would please. thank you.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Up to you what you do. Im personally not a huge fan of tanks that are not predrilled, but that said, i did drill an overflow kit into a 125. Thats an option. as for the filters, if they are canister, they are probably going to be more trouble than they are worth for a SW system. if they are HOB, they probably will be useful for surface turbulence and minimal filtration. In a SW system, your Live rock is your primary filtration. I realised a while back that there's another white powder that breeds junkies, called SW mix. I've totally quit doing any FW systems at all, but some still do. Depends really on how commited you are to the tank and whats req to set it up. A FW system will be simpler and cheaper to setup. I've gotten sweet deals on tanks before, but since i started doing SW, i realized something. THe tank is the cheapest part of the setup.